Confounding the skimmers

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0HB, Sep 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

True. My straight-key sending shows up in RBN all the time. Which is quite useful to me, as if I'm calling CQ late at night often the only way I know how well I'm getting out is RBN, as the humans this cranky thread purports to celebrate are generally sleeping.

WZ7U, W4NNF and N2EY like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is this "sleep" of which you speak?

73 de Jim, N2EY

3. W9BRD

It takes much more skill to write code that deciphers code, and to make the results available via the Internet along with a quantitative measurement of frequency and SNR, than to learn to read code by ear.
    Should individual people be allowed to opt out of having light reflect from their skins so they'll be invisible unless they choose not to be?

VK4HAT likes this.
  4. W9BRD

Yes, Rod was my dad. I'm proud to be keeping his call sign on the air. It also happens to roll off the key nicely... :) Although I'm not the code hotshot he was (certified at 55 WPM through George Hart's QCWA program), it's the mode I prefer to operate.

Best regards,

Dave
    amateur radio W9BRD

K1LKP and N2EY like this.
  5. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

A "telegraphic mill".

6. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

the only thing i purposely confound are FT8 bots - and i've got to be really bored to do that...

As others have pointed out, DX spots have been around forever and are just part of the 'game'. You still gotta work the DX - it's not as if your click tunes to the station, sets the splits, and sends/receives CW... I think the OP is taking 'true blue dxing' to a ridiculous extreme.

7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s almost exactly what it does. No listening, no effort, no skill, no thinking. Not even the need for logging which also happens automatically. Let’s review the concept of a hobby.

8. WF4W

what? that's not true at all.

How do you log contacts? chalk and slate?

WZ7U and WX7P like this.
  9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure it is. There are a myriad of programs, e.g., HRD, etc..., which can and do all of that plus log and even read CW for you while you cut the grass. Isn’t life great... we can have a hobby which some people put on autopilot to enjoy.

10. WF4W

I use HRD. It won't do that. The most it will do for me is tune to the freq. and set the mode. You're spreading disinformation.