Confounding the skimmers

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0HB, Sep 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have noticed that new(er) DX’ers haven’t developed the skill of listening. The contemporary version have converted that into ‘looking’ at the cluster network as their sole means of finding DX.

It is easier.

3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

art
    [ärt]
    NOUN
    1. the expression or application of human creative. . .
    2. (the arts)
      the various branches of creative activity, . . .
    3. (arts)
      subjects of study primarily concerned with the processes and products of human creativity. . .
    4. a skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice.
    Art applies to practicing a skill.... which is opposite to what most hams think. Even the FCC misses the point. Saying CW does nothing to further the "radio art" in 2006 was interesting.

It was like saying practicing or demonstrating a skill was not desirable, which is in turn said there is no need for a Radio Art. This negates one of the foundational purposes of amateur radio: to advance the radio art.

CW was just another mode, but it was the only mode for which an applicant's skill was tested. There should have been practical tests for other modes but at the time there was not.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, I don't disagree with that. There are some other skills, too:
    • Circuit design, assembly, testing.
    • Antenna design, assembly, testing.
    • Programming (UIs, DSP, automation, firmware, databases, remote control, ...).
    • Digital protocol design.
    • Propagation analysis and prediction.
    I don't know about "for other modes," but yes, there should be more skills testing in the AR service. There are many to choose from that have nothing to do with operating a particular OTA mode. From some of the patterns I see on the HF bands, the entire AR service would benefit greatly from better training (and then testing) applicants to do propagation analysis and band/time selection better. There are some fantastic band opening that host little more than static crickets because people make their band selection decisions based on signals they see, rather than band capabilities.

CW is definitely fun. It is also obsolete as a skill. The state of the art left it in the dust long ago. And again, I like CW. :) I'm one of the people who keeps pointing out that basically all modern communications systems are a direct derivative of radiotelegraphy. Cell phones, satellite phones, internet, fiber optics, spread spectrum, DV, and basically all AR digimodes are some form of radiotelegraphy, just done by a machine.

But hand-sent Morse is the radio art equivalent of knowing how to fire a steam locomotive.
    Perhaps, but perhaps they actually get the larger point -- if their goal is to advance the state of the art through the AR service, devotion to long-obsolete modes is a hinderance, not an aid, for reaching that goal.

VK4HAT, W4NNF, KY5U and 1 other person like this.
  5. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are you screaming?

KS4W and N2EY like this.
  6. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

" return DXing and contesting back to skilled Radiomen "

The best DXers and Contesters ARE skilled radiomen, and skilled in related areas of station setup and design.

Envy is not a virtue.

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When many say skill, i think what they mean is wallet. A skilled person does more with less.

W3KHG and K2CAJ like this.
  8. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

HE ISN'T.
    HE JUST COPIED THE MESSAGE ON A MILL. A MILL HAS NO LOWER CASE.

Good thing I'm not on 600. I would have just broken the 500 kc silence period with routine traffic...:eek:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    K4KYV likes this.
  9. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

RBN is not a crutch. It's a quite useful and creative use of modern techniques to provide quantitative feedback for one transmitting as to the effectiveness of power, antenna, and propagation. (It also informs the "sleepy old ham" problem, in which -- unlike 50 years ago when I started -- one can call endless CQs late at night nowadays and not be answered because band usage is generally down and few hams are awake.)

10. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Mill is just slang for typewriter. Its use was not confined to radio; many years ago, QST's editorial page was titled "The Editor's Mill." (And the editorials contained therein were not all uppercase.)

K3XR and N2EY like this.