ad: portazero-1

Confounding the skimmers

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0HB, Sep 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe not fun but honorable.

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QSA 5, QRK NIL, QSD see u dit dit ;) We didn't use the RST system in merchant shipping operations, otherwise it would be: UR RST 199 QSD :eek: -TU dit dit

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  3. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out the 11/2013 issue of QST. They have a nice article about the "...special typewriters called 'mills' "

A telegrapher's Mill differs from its contemporary typewriters in that it had no lower case, they had the numeral 1 (on typewriters of the day, you used the lower case l for numeral one) and the zero was slashed (Ø).

True, the Telegrapher's Mill wasn't confined to radio. They were also used by land line telegraphers.

Why the editorial page wasn't in ALL CAPS could be that the editors were following general print media convention like the AP Style-book, or perhaps the typesetter changed the Mill copy into sentence case. Some lineotype machine typesetters worked from wireline copy which would have been in all caps and set the type in sentence case.

W9BRD, N2EY and KP4SX like this.
  4. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

My comment about the editorial being set in sentence case and not all caps was me being facetious. Naming the column "The Editor's Mill" was just K. B. Warner being radio-colloquial, as was his inimitable style. Had the editorials been set in all-caps, they'd have been much less readable. :) Mixed case aids faster comprehension.

Thanks for the background on the typewriters. I think, but can't remember for sure, that the typewriters at the operating positions of Illinois State District 3 Radio (KSB47/KSB242), where my dad worked, were all-caps -- which would have been appropriate, not only for transcribing messages from troopers -- but also, when in the 60s I first saw The Station as we called it, for copying message traffic during MF/HF CW interzone operations in the Police Radio Service. My dad and several other KSB47 ops had to have at least 2nd Class Radiotelegraph tickets so they could do the interzone work (at frequencies in the 2-, 5, and 7-MHz regions) in addition to low- and high-band voice work at VHF. (My dad's boss from the 40s into the early 1960s, Ero Erickson, W9HPJ, and later KA9DYS, and sometimes referred to in the biz as "the father of interzone CW," had a First Class Radiotelegraph ticket, having worked aboard Great Lakes ships earlier in his career.)

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

You might be interested in a photo of those typewriters at my blog. I have it at the following posts. One of them has some additional follow up information:

http://onetuberadio.com/2016/08/04/1941-illinois-state-police-radio/
    http://onetuberadio.com/2016/09/06/charles-ten-four-hopper/

K1LKP and W9BRD like this.
  6. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

A modest proposal:
    Have an "old school" contest where no information can be received or transmitted related to the contest other than over an amateur radio.

7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

that's what i always liked about the old skool packet-based DX spotting network. At least it was still radio-based

8. W9BRD

Thanks! Those posts are wonderful. Now I'm thinking that my NC-100X might have come from retirement out of an ISP installation. By the time I was visiting KSB47/KSB242 as a boy, the station's later fixed-frequency receivers -- Wilcox CW3s, I think, although they might have been National SCRs -- had been replaced by National NC-400s. (The phones worn by both ops in the pic look like Trimm Featherweights -- nice. I used a pair as an SWL and then as Novice > General.)

KSB47 used the same console for CW and voice comms. I think zone/interzone CW was ultimately done in by teleprinter communication.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  9. W9BRD

I like it. Maybe allow a little non-radio information -- say, having the rules and exchange written up in, oh, say, a printed-on-paper ham magazine...

10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N2SR likes this.