Confounding the skimmers

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0HB, Sep 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

PAT, I SAID THE SAME THING BUT THEN I REALIZED THAT THESE THREADS ARE
    BETTER THAN GROUP THERAPY.

HAVE FUN PAT AND ENJOY THE FINE READING.

suzy and sammy dx hounds.jpg

73 - K1LKP

W4NNF likes this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

But that doesn't mean everyone has to send machine perfect CW as with a keyboard or electronic keyer. Individual variations in sending make CW interesting, just as people have distinctive handwriting and not everyone types out all their written messages on a keyboard. If everyone sent perfect code, working CW would be pretty boring.

Reminds me of a story of a young fellow sitting for the CW test when they were given by the FCC, in a post office building with marble walls and tile floor, and a lot of echo. The code was played through the speaker on a portable tape machine and no headphones were provided. The examinee complained to the FCC examiner about how hard it was to read the code due to the poor room acoustics. The FCC examiner replied, "Yes, that was pretty rough. Kind of like copying code over the radio."

VK4HAT likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Confounding the scammers sounds like a whole lot more fun.

W4NNF likes this.
  4. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

you gotta find the right group - the SKCC guys are incredibly accommodating. Only catch is that you gotta use a straight key, bug, or side swipe.

5. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

How about a new horror movie:

"Skimmers" where everyone who uses a machine on CW heads explode like in the old movie "Scanners".

WZ7U likes this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought this was about email address skimmers. I disguise my email and put a fake address in the document for skimmers. I use: W7UUU@aol.com

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    W4IOA likes this.
  7. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I lurked this thread long enough ... take technology including the "art" of contesting for what it is. It reflects the current state of the art as applied to ham radio and fits the spirit of investigating and experimenting technology in ham radio. In my opinion (what else do you expect "here"), because contests are not QSOs but base information exchange and is automated in certain modes, it goes without saying that call signs should be decoded & conveniently displayed for easy picking.

However, be careful what you wish for. Artificial Intelligence and expert systems are coming and fast. I'll wager that within 2 years undetectable application of AI in ham radio will be used to perform the same task a skimmer + the information exchange for contests fully automatic. Let the operator take a nap. (I just watched a news broadcast showing a Tesla going down the highway at~70 with both the driver & passenger asleep. The state police indicated that this is no law against this.)

May as well add in that the ability to decode crappy CW. AI can just as easily be used to send less than perfect machine code as a method of being covert that a real live awake human is on the key.

So there ... BOOM! Done!! Skimmers obsoleted and no longer needed.

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ugh. You had to bring that movie up.

NE1U likes this.
  9. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Old age and treachery will always defeat youth and exuberance.

10. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

He might be hard of hearing.