Confirming QSO's

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G0WKT, Feb 22, 2021 at 10:33 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. G0WKT

G0WKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All, this is G0WKT from central UK.

Due to covid-19 and being stuck at home more than usual, I purchased my HF radio in October 2020. Put up a home made antenna and started calling "CQ" for the first time since 1981.

I'm a key worker, so still going to work a few days each week. It appears I was spoiled through November 2020 when the propogation, and therefore DX, improved greatly. This encouraged me to upgrade radio and antenna. I now have an FT 891 and a moxon 2 element on the 15m band.

I still log all my chats with a paper log but also joined QRZ.com and used their fantastic free log book. I made a QSL card and sent it to my best contacts, either great long chats on SSB, furthest contact (at the time) or first few (slow) CW contacts.

In my log I've now got 424 QSO's in 62 countries, but only 100 confirmed on QRZ.com. I am starting to get much slower QSL cards back, and at the moment I have 17, but these seem to be trickling back at up to six weeks after the chat on the radio. I'm presuming, the stations are getting my QSL card first and then replying.

Most stations are looking me up on QRZ.com, as soon as we chat. I know this as a fact because my page has photos of my other hobbies, and people start talking about them before I mention them! SO WHY DO SO FEW CONFIRM ???

I'm not collecting for awards, it really makes little difference to the hobby, but it does still bring a smile to my face when I actually see the little yellow star turn on. This weekend I had a really nice chat with a station in Brazil, we went beyond asking conditions and equipment and chatted like we were friends meeting in a pub. Afterwards I confirmed on QRZ.com as usual and prepared a QSL card to post to my new friend.

I only have 100W and the small moxon, 15m is not particularly active at the moment (the forecast even says "poor" for this band), but seeing as it's a monoband antenna and my new favourite band(!), I always give a few shouts out and it seems South America works every afternoon at about 16:30. This morning he confirmed on QRZ.com and my little yellow star was next to our QSO in the log book. It just made me wonder why I only have 100 confirmed from 424 contacts. How can I improve this ratio? It is printed on my QSL card, please confirm direct or on QRZ.com.

Thanks for your time, 73's
    G0WKT

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. KI5AAI

KI5AAI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of people use LOTW as well. I have about 50 percent of my QSO's confirmed which I think is actually not too bad :). Just the nature of the hobby. Some people just don't care to log.

WG7X likes this.
  3. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Got myself a rate of 16 QSL out of 45 QSO here on QRZ, but these are CW only.
    Had a look @PY4NY ... well, one of Brazil's finest stations and taking advantage of his building gives him a tremendous edge!

Oliver

4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you need your QSOs confirmed?

Do you think you have been working Pirates, who aren't really in the countries they say they are?

Roger G3YRO

5. KR4BD

KR4BD Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, fewer and fewer ops are QSLing anymore. On QRZ.com, I have about a 35-40% success rate with QSLing. On EQSL, it’s better, maybe 50-55%, but LOTW has been “The Winner” IN MY CASE, with nearly an 80% successful QSL return rate. LOTW is best (for me) because QSLs received there ARE accepted by the ARRL and some other groups for operating awards, while EQSL and QRZ are NOT. As far as direct cards sent overseas, my success rate has become very dismal in recent years due to tremendous postage increases, Covid restrictions and DESPITE sending lots of green stamps. The green stamps are probably being stolen in the mail. As for the buro....in my case....FORGET IT! I have received only about 20 cards in the last two+ years despite sending out hundreds of cards. The buro has also been very unreliable in other ways for me, too. About 25 years ago, the 8-Land US buro admitted throwing away all the cards they had for me because they THOUGHT I had become a SK, when in fact, I had moved and changed calls from 8-land to 4-land!! TRUE STORY! I am mainly a DXer, but since 2014, I have uploaded my logs to QRZ, EQSL and LOTW on a very regular basis. ALL of these services are FREE to use. When using these electronic services, it only begins to cost anything when one applies for awards. I guess it boils down to laziness of some ops. Right now, I am trying to confirm a 160 meter QSO with a station in Sardinia. He HAS verified on QRZ and EQSL, but won’t do it on LOTW, or direct. I’ve sent him two paper cards, each with three green stamps enclosed, but so far...just crickets. It can be frustrating!

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You should always check the other stations qrz page to see how/if he qsls. I use all the online services for all my contacts and additionally send cards to some.

7. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Check eQSL.cc . It's free .

8. G0WKT

For sure, on the QRZ.com page it's quite open if that station is willing to send QSL cards or rather log eQSL's! Most openly state ONLY direct QSL, some say direct QSL with 1 - 3 Green Stamps (US Dollar bills). A few say No QSL's, no bureau, and some don't even give their address! So obviously I would not send a card if they were not collectors!
    I like cards, I have them around my shack and the best ones get prime spot (St Helena, Falklands), I have purchased lots of dollar bills and where as I would not send any to Europe, I would send them to stations that have gone out of their way on an expensive DXpedition, or even third World countries who really can't afford the stamps, I can afford this hobby, I can afford postage and printing costs, but there are many stations using home-made or hand-me-down kit who enjoy the hobby but can't afford cards and P&P, I am willing to pay their share for a QSL card.
    I do worry that some dollars are stolen in the postage, I have stopped putting call signs on the envelopes because of this. I have still not had one QSL card back from anyone that uses a manager. Are they just very slow? I still have three folders of QSL cards from 1981, the first book is from Europe, second from America's and the third book was mostly Australian, New Zealand, Guam Island, South Seas, etc. They have been stored for 40 years and are still on display stand in my lounge. Not many people have ever wanted to see them (!), but I would not EVER throw them away! That'll be down to my kids after I've gone!

9. G0WKT

I went to LOTW, but it wanted to charge and it seemed quite expensive!

10. G0WKT

I collect QSL cards, the best ones get pride of place in my station, but they are all treasured! I also collect Celtic coins, Roman coins, Hammered Medieval coins, even stamps. I do not only have radio as a hobby, I have hundreds of hobbies. These all sound quite boring but I also Paramotor, paraglide, green lane motorbike ride on my CRF Rally, metal detect, SCUBA, shoot (rifles and shotguns), walk with my dogs, have tropical fish, used to parachute, hang glide.
    Just because you find it strange to want QSL cards, don't think others have your same hobbies :)

VK6APZ, W7EDC and WA9SVD like this.