ad: w5yi

Confirming QSL's on QRZ

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3WVB, Jun 13, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ could make it easier to confirm QSL's for their logbook !
    I have to admit I unfortunately am not able to log each and every contact I make on the air and I believe others may have the same problem as well. According to QRZ I have over 1673 QSO's of which 656 are confirmed :) My question for me and the multitude out there not logging each and every contact is how do we confirm those that we didnt log? For instance I worked 10m just yesterday and had some ops send me a QSL via QRZ online logbook. I know I worked them but I don't know the UTC , signal report etc because I wasn't near the computer to log them in as I worked them or have paper or pencil in hand (lol) . Isn't there an easier way to confirm. For me it is not a huge issue I have no need to worry about it more confirmations for myself as I have been playing radio forever and have literally worked the world multiple times. But, wanting to give the other op his confirmation is the right thing to do. Other than e-mailing each unconfirmed contact for their info since I cant see UTC. RST etc does anyone have any other suggestions ? Is anyone else having the same problem perhaps that is why I have over 1000 unconfirmed contacts as well .... Just Curious :) I hate to say but EQSL makes it soooo much easier.... Looking forward to any and all replies
    N3WVB
    EN90

[​IMG]

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why can't you log every contact?

That would solve your problem.

And if you love Pittsburgh so much, why do you live 40 miles away in another state? Just curious. (You're invited to Field Day anyway)

K2HAT likes this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can't. You'd either be working from memory, or just parroting back whatever the other op is telling you. If from memory, if the QSO didn't seem worth logging in the first place, why would you remember any details? If just parroting what the other op says, then you're not really confirming anything.

Just log all the QSOs. I don't get why you are "not able" to log every contact.

4. N3WVB

Try to log your contacts in a mobile while driving 70 mph on the Turnpike or Interstate
    Even when I log from the house I have over 1000 unconfirmed contacts
    Should I yell at them for not confirming
    As I said I dont care about more rewards
    Just confirming the contacts I made seems to be the right thing to do

[​IMG]

5. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion, if you didn't log a QSO somewhere, you shouldn't confirm it. There is nothing to confirm except what you might remember.

K1OIK and K2HAT like this.
  6. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

First, why are you using such a LARGE font?

Second, you should NOT be making QSO's while driving (assuming you are behind the wheel) ! It's the same as using a cell phone while driving which is against the law in many states

K1OIK likes this.
  7. N3WVB

LOL

The demographics of Ham Radio is why I use larger fonts
    Many I know complain they are unable to read the posts here and need to increase the zoom on their puters to do so

I was not doing the driving
    But didnt have a pen or paper in hand
    Instead of seeing the insanity of this system we are worried why I am making contacts in the car
    QRZ are you really trying to Police QSL CONTACTS to this degree??
    As I said before EQSL makes it easier
    The QSL's sent by snail mail are easy to confirm no Policing or asking was it in your personal log book (lol)
    Should we go back to the old snail mailed QSL's and hold them back asking to see log books
    Give Me A Break
    This Is A Hobby
    Not A Career

Time to Lighten Up

For me it is not a huge issue I have no need to worry about more confirmations for myself as I have been playing radio forever and have literally worked the world multiple times. But, wanting to give the other op his confirmation is the right thing to do. Other than e-mailing each unconfirmed contact for their info since I cant see UTC. RST etc does anyone have any other suggestions ? Is anyone else having the same problem perhaps that is why I have over 1000 unconfirmed contacts as well .... Just Curious :) I hate to say but EQSL makes it soooo much easier.... Looking forward to any and all replies
    N3WVB
    EN90

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    NK2U, K4BBN and KD0TLS like this.
  8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

So tell folks you cannot always confirm on QRZ. Problem solved.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Doubt it. I upload all my logs and my confirmation rate is maybe 15-20%. Not everybody uses QRZ Logbook.

10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say that if you remember the QSO, then you should go ahead and confirm it.

There's nothing wrong with operating mobile, in most cases. It's typically not a distraction. If it is, I'm sure the original poster stops operating and concentrates on driving.

However, attempting to write anything down by driving is probably a much bigger distraction, so I realize the concern. One thing you might want to do is make a very marginal log. Keep a pad of paper and pen on the seat next to you. When safe, write down the call signs, without looking at the paper while you write. The result will be very large writing, and very sloppy writing. But you'll probably be able to read it. When you get to your destination, write down the date and approximate time, as well as the band if you use more than one. Then, flip the page for the next trip.

As long as the incoming QSL has the same date, then go with their time. As for the signal report, I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't remember what signal report you gave, then just write down 57 or 59.

W5BIB and K4PIH like this.