Confirmations

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by 2E0YSO, Nov 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. 2E0YSO

2E0YSO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all

I operate with what is basically a piece of wet string wrapped around my garden hidden in bushes, tacked to the top of fences etc. I do not have a triple beam Yagi on 100 foot tower on top of a mountain. So, having spent years in obtaining exotic contacts for an award in far flung places like Afghanistan, North Korea, Japan, and Hong Kong, you can imagine my annoyance that these contacts do not have a QRZ Logbook and therefore all of my efforts are slung into the UNCONFIRMED bucket and do not count? Surely there must be something we can do? What are the chances of me finding another contact in N Korea that has a QRZ Logbook? Zilch!
    Can we just be honest enough to declare a contact and have it accepted? Or if the person is a QRZ member and has a page perhaps?

Keep safe people.

Mike 2E0YSO Cambridge, England.

ZS5TC and MI0GTA like this.
  2. ZS5TC

ZS5TC Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. I have 100`s of unconfirmed USA counties on QRZ. I`m striving for my 100 counties QRZ award. Have resent reminders to confirm. Some have seen & still don`t bother - Very frustrating!

VK6APZ likes this.
  3. W0ARM

W0ARM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AGREED, AGREED!

I have 522 QSO's logged, but only 213 confirmed. Many/most of these are US contacts, and to boot: I have QSL cards from many (if not most) of the "unconfirmed" contacts.

QRZ should have a mechanism in place in which we can submit proof of a confirmed QSO (like a QSL card) and have the contact confirmed in the log by the Powers-That-Be that give the awards.

Very unfortunate. I even let other hams know I'm logging our QSO in QRZ, and ask that they do the same... sometimes it works, often it does not.

Oh well...

VK6APZ likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Do you use LoTW? Download an ADI file and import into QRZ

Do you use eQSL? Download an ADI file and import into QRZ

Do you use ClubLOG? Download an ADI file and import into QRZ

Do you use HRD Log? Download an ADI file and import into QRZ

As long as the other station uses any one or all of those other services, and the contact is CONFIRMED, it will also confirm on QRZ

Obviously not every station uses every awards / upload site out there including QRZ. It just takes time.

Dave
    W7UUU

N3VEZ and N2SUB like this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this something new? I knew about LoTW confirmed status being imported into QRZ directly from LoTW, but not confirmed status from an ADI file. How does QRZ knows the ADI file was not 'massaged', if you know what I mean?

I may have misinterpreted what you said, if so, my apologies in advance.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

QRZ doesn't know.

But if users choose to "doctor their data" (or "massage it") what then is the point? Cheating yourself at Solitaire.

ADI files are ADI files and such "cross pollination" works great!

Can't address the folks that want to lie/cheat/steal their way to awards by "massaging" data though... :)

Dave
    W7UUU

7. VA3VF

I totally agree with you, but I was thinking in terms of QRZ Awards reputation.

8. W7UUU

QRZ (or LoTW or CQ or any number of the zillions of awards) ONLY matter to the person applying.

They mean NOTHING to anyone else.

If someone wants to cheat and "win" an award by cheating, who are they hurting?

I'm just responding to the OP - offering up options to get more confirmations into QRZ. IF THE OP HAS AN HONEST ADI FILE ON OTHER PLATFORMS, IT WILL BE HONEST ON QRZ. Not to shout - just adding emphasis. If those users don't use QRZ and importing ADI files is not an option for the user, then tough biscuits - just keep working stations until more QRZ confirmations happen.

Heck - if cheaters really want to cheat, just skip the fuss and bother of contacts and logs - just use Photoshop and make all your own awards!! Start with "Worked all North Korean Provinces" and "DXCC on 630 and 2200" :D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

9. VA3VF

I respect your opinion of course, but I think, and other 'mainstream' award issuers think as well, that while the award only 'benefits' and mean anything to the recipient, a modicum of 'legitimacy' should be present to give the award some 'community' value.

DXCC and LoTW are not fraud proof - collusion is impossible to prevent - but they try as much as possible to ensure the award they issue truly reflects an achievement by using blind QSO matching, certificates, etc.

Thanks for the clarification. It's just a hobby after all. ;)

PU2OZT likes this.
  10. W7UUU

That's the real takeaway, isn't it :)

It would NEVER occur to me (and I'm pretty sure MOST hams) to cheat on something like awards, which only matter to the one applying.

Stay well

Dave
    W7UUU