Configuring RUMlogNG fields?

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by N7TAT, Jan 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N7TAT

N7TAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Can we pick & choose which QSO fields are necessary in RUMlogNG? I want Band but Freq to be optional. I want Date to be in YYYY/MM/DD format. I'd love to not eve have Locator, IOTA, Manager, Color or Satellite on the page.

Any want to reformat / streamline / declutter this entry screen?

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You can't remove fields, but you don't need to use them all either.

The date format comes from the way your system is configured. Make changes in system preferences and you'll be set.

For band, simply enter the same frequency for each contact. For example, if you have a 40m contact, just type 7000 and it will save it. 14000 for 20m, and so on. The frequency is not really important, but it will trigger the correct band.

If you have selected "Enter time manually" from the pull down in the upper left corner of the screen, you can simply start with the date, tab to the time, tab to the call sign, tab to the frequency, tab to the mode (C = CW, S=SSB, etc), tab to the TX & RX numbers, and then hit Enter to save it. There is no need to go through all of the fields.

Once setup, RUMlogNG is really easy to use and you can't beat the price.

Also, a full manual is available here: See the English manual

I
    'm sure Tom (DL2RUM) will come along with some more input.

3. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And, you may want to try something else. Although RUMlogNG, Aether, and MacLoggerDX are the three main logbooks on Mac, they're not the only 3. Check out KLog for an even simpler logger that also supports ADIF output: https://www.klog.xyz

WW2PT and (deleted member) like this.
  4. N7TAT

N7TAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks!!!
    Yes, that is what I've been doing BUT I also need to get to the Notes field which is 11 Tabs from the State field. Or have to reach for the mouse to click the field. I suspect the author is a mouse person rather than a keyboard person. As to the freq, I've been entering 7000, 14000 - that works (though it would be much better to just enter 40 or 20) but when I get to 30 I have to enter 10100 or the band won't be auto detected. I suspect it will be the same thing on 17 and 12 where just zeros at the end won't be enough. Clearly the app is optimized for someone who has the computer connected to the rig and is logging in real-time allowing the app to pull data from the rig & PC (date/time)

I'm on computers all day long (SW engineer) and I prefer my radio hobby to be operating radios, not computers. I know, I'm not typical.

5. DK1OM

DK1OM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can arrange the rows to your liking. Just move the Notes field to the preferred position with the mouse and you are back to keyboard mode. You may also switch off rows you dont need. Just do a right-click on the row header.

6. K9MTQ

K9MTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just going to ask here instead of starting a new thread. In the contest window, is there a way to get the number sent field to auto populate with the next number? I've been playing around with it trying to get it all figured out before I try to use it in a contest but this number stays the same unless you manually change it. Or is it even necessary to change it since it numbers them in the log?

7. DL2RUM

DL2RUM Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends on your selected contest. Some contests require an increasing serial number, while others use fixed control numbers.
    The serial number will be increased after each logged QSO, user actions is not required.

K3DCW and K9MTQ like this.