Configuring my TH-D72A for Satellites

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KM6KCM, Sep 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess is that CHIRP will accept it, since many other radios can have TX and RX frequencies in different bands, and CHIRP may not check for specific radio models that are known not to accept that sort of memory programming. This is also the case with Icom HTs since the mid- to late-1990s. I haven't tried CHIRP with anything other than my Baofengs, since Kenwood's MCP-4A does what I need with my TH-D72.

73!

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried with my d710, and chirp would give me an error that the freq was out of range.

3. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

If I have time tonight, I might try CHIRP with my D72 and see what happens. In any event, using memory channels with TX and RX in different bands defeats the advantage of using a D72 over many other HTs on FM satellites - full-duplex operation. You still need to work with both VFOs, transmitting from B and receiving with A, to be able to engage the DUP function. I just use the VFOs, making sure the PL is on from VFO B.

73!

4. KE8FZT

KE8FZT Ham Member QRZ Page

So, I wanted to double check... My previous post was from a backup, tonight I just plugged the D72 in and did a 'Download from Radio' in clone mode, and it showed that they are in the radio still. Here is a screenshot...

However, I don't use it that way as WD9EWK pointed out. I tune A to the RX frequency, and B to TX. The only reason its there, it I have a master list, and import it into several radios. Several Baofengs, D72, and a TH-F6a... Some of the imports throw errors when I import a SSB channel into a FM only radio, but the end results gives me identical channel numbers and similar programming across several radios.

Attached Files:

5. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, I wonder if "clone" vs "live" makes a difference. I haven't tried in a while (not sure what updates I've missed), but I know when I tried I could only connect to the D710 in "live" mode.