Computer Sending..

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Nov 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe. But for me I do make a distinction between conversational CW where I just use a paddle, and contest CW where the keyer macros make things more efficient. It is not fully automated, you still have to know which button to press and when ( hi ). The key ( forgive the pun ) to CW in my view is the listening and decoding between the ears.

I also operate CW mobile, with a paddle so I can drive and send CW at the same time. Macros wouldn't work there for me, too much of a distraction.

W5BIB and M6GYU like this.
  2. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't take my reply too seriously Peter. My humour doesn't always appear as intended. ;-) - Any way the guy who I heard sending macro after macro whilst QSOing wasn't called Peter!!! ;-)

N4UP likes this.
  3. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought a MFJ 452 a few years ago, I thought it would be neat to play around with, waste of money.The novelty wore of in 10 minutes. I can touch type from learning in High School but its really no fun like I thought I may be. The best use for it I have found is to use a stored CQ in the programed memory and let it loop the call. It does require a scientific degree to program it, mostly because of the lack of instructions/wrong instructions. 73, Rich

W5BIB, M6GYU and N7BKV like this.
  4. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Usually whenever the other station sends periods.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And spells out words that real CW ops never spell out.

N2UHC likes this.
  6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The real fun of a keyboard for me is using it along with a straight key/bug, or cootie while employing the Farnsworth Method.

I set it at 20wpm & use my left hand (I'm right-handed) to insert a letter or two, every now & then, during a QSO. It can help develop your "fist" when using a manual-key (straight key/bug/sideswiper) with the right hand, matching the speed & character formation of the keyboard.

Set it at whatever speed you're comfortable with, & have fun. You'll be surprised how quickly your manual key sending can become indistinguishable from that of the keyboard (even more effective if you have a "reader" to monitor your sending).

I only use a "buffer/memory" to send CQ's (when the bands seem dead) & the "5nn TU" contest reports.

Running Low Power (15 watts) or QRP, I usually make my QSO's by answering/calling someone. I do the CQ thing mainly to check the reversebeacon.net to see if/where I'm being heard.

I use an olde Heathkit HD-8999 keyboard. - YMMV ;)

At any rate,... Just have fun. :)

77 - 72/73

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Rag chew or contest? I know a few good CW ops (a whole lot better than me) who will listen by ear and send by keyboard during a contest, only using the key to send fills.

8. W5BIB

I'll use my keyboard in a contest to send my call & the "5nn TU" response. I have my call in a memory, but, when sending it,... I keep one finger on the "STOP" key so I can stop in mid-call if I hear the contest station working someone else. (Don't want to cause QRM !) ;) - ALL of my copying is %100 by ear.

M6GYU likes this.
  9. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not have a reader and am not a contester. I have been working on head copy now for about 3 months trying to get to a solid 20 wpm. Im at about 18 now but not solid, so I hope to get to the 20 by the end of the winter. I did use the keyboard as a trainer as to your code should sound as you mentioned but for on air its not for me although I am using a ZN key with keyer now. I started out with J-38 thirty years ago, did the bug for a year or two and now messing with the keyer. Im a low skilled op compared to most who are at 20+ wpm but I always have a great time. 73 Rich

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    W5BIB likes this.
  10. W5BIB

That's, what it's all about :D - Different "strokes" for different folks ;)

dit dit

M6GYU likes this.