Computer PSU making trouble on my IC-7000.New one ?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by SV2EVS, Apr 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,

My computer's PSU is making QRM/Noise on 40m band and some on 20.....so after some tests and a change of an another PSU, low priced....i need to find a PSU that is NOT making any noise on 40m. My antenna is a Vertical LZ-AV5B.

Any suggestions ? Please be reminded that i live in Greece.

73 de SV2EVS

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Need to know what the computer is.

3. SV2EVS

Desktop computer, Quad Core@2,66ghz,,,,4gb ram...

4. VE3KUT

VE3KUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ferrite on the cords to & from don't help?

5. SV2EVS

no they do NOT help...and i have changed to another psu for a few minutes....made in japan also...and it was very bad as well...Someone suggested to place the computer case inside metal...

6. WB2WIK

That doesn't really tell me much.

Is it a standard ATX12V type? Does it have PCIe power connectors also? How much power do you need?

7. SV2EVS

Yes, on both questions...I have 3 hdd's..one dvd-rom...4gb ram, and some extra usb ports.

8. WB2WIK

If you can use vertical ventilation, this one is very well rated for minimum RFI and excellent electromagnetic compatibility:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0106RDI3W/?tag=bom_tomshardware-20&ascsubtag=[site|thaus[cat|[art|[pid|B0106RDI3W[tid|14613582191704788[bbc|LEPRIX

I've been using its somewhat bigger brother, from the same product family, for about two years with "zero" noise issues in my active ham shack, 1.8 through 432 MHz (although my antennas are not close to the shack):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-1600-p2-1600w-power-supply,4039.html

9. AC0TX

AC0TX Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this computer a 'home built'
    Back in around 2000 had a problem with a computer motherboard that was placed inside an instrument at the factory.
    Horrible noise problems erratic too
    Discovered that the motherboard was on PLASTIC standoffs
    Found out that motherboards had to be on metal standoffs for proper operation
    The Field fix was to externalize the PC by hooking a regular PC up to the systen
    viola no more problems

I have been in Fry's and seen all (clear) plastic computer cases... bad bad bad

10. WB2WIK

Very good point, I agree.

Mother boards can have "some" insulated standoffs, but there are ones that are critical and must be conductive.

Huge variation in "cases" also, and some are horrible. Because they're not sold as "computers" and only "cases," they do not have to meet 47 CFR Part 15 radiated emissions test limits or be tested for anything.