Computer Ports. Can You Make More of Them ?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2WH, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I have been resurrecting my computer after a hard disk failure and its mostly up and running but for one thing (at least right now), port assignments.

I have 2 programs that need to access the two ports, 2 & 3.

These ports were defined by drivers that I loaded for my Yaesu FTdx3000 via a USB cable. It works quite well.

The problem I have, my logging program which has the ability to read the rigs frequency wants to use the same port and when it does, both programs need to be rebooted even though, the logging program says one of the ports is "Available".

So, my question is, can I or is there a program that will make or install a few more ports that I can use other than the 2 that I use for the rig?

K2WH

2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Not sure ?

The Yaesu uses a USB port via a USB cable, not a DB-9 or 25.

Not sure if the USB port in my FTdx3000 is a serial port.

4. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Software can recognize USB as a serial port. That is what KA8NCR is saying.

The PHSNA software for the Arduino (which connects via USB) allows choice of serial ports in case one is used by the system or other software.

Ted, KX4OM

5. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Omni-Rig
    http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/

"...multiple programs, written by different authors in different languages, can control the radio via Omni-Rig at the same time..."