Computer Monitor Turns off on Transmit

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0CD, Sep 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What about the data cable?

2. W0CD

W0CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It does it with no cables installed. (HDMI)

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, nuts.

A few ideas, for what they’re worth,

Did you also put ferrites on the radio end of the coaxial cable?

Depending on coax length and band, the maximum common mode current could be someplace along the coax. A ferrite placed at that maximum point will help considerably.

Can you try more ferrites if you have them available, with as many turns of power supply cables through them as possible. Oh, what type of ferrite did you use?

Can you rig up a different power supply of the same voltage? If the problem goes away then at least you know which device primarily has the susceptibility.

Can you move the monitor to a different place in the house, and/or different AC branch circuit to see if the problem goes away? If it does it might give some clues about how close to failing the signal strength is, or the way the signal is coupling into the power circuits.

W0CD likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you put it on a separate power strip or extension cord ?

5. KE9EX

KE9EX Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for this.

I was reading this thread on Monday night since I had a similar problem; not with a computer monitor but with the cable TV box re-booting whenever
    I transmitted on 160 Meters.

I had put a choke on the AC power cord going into the power supply box, I guess because that line was closest to the antenna, but that didn't solve my problem.
    After reading this, I moved the choke to the cord going from the power supply to the cable box ("as close to the display (cable box) as possible"),
    and now there's no re-booting when I'm on 160.

This cord, of course, has the lower voltage (15 V) and is a small diameter cable, probably not shielded, and would be more susceptible to
    RFI.

Thanks Again!

6. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why haven’t you grounded the radio? I think this could be the source of your problem.

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

How so? If unplugging the monitor from the power supply (but leaving the P/S plugged in , and re-connection doesn't solve the problem until the POWER SUPPLY itself is unplugged, I would strongly suspect the P/S is the problem, and NOT the monitor itself! Ferrites on the P/S to the A/C, if possible, may solve the problem.

8. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

15M has always been a very special band for me since it always seems to cause the most issues when I transmit.

Recently, I started to have computer issues when transmitting (800W) with my computers. Wired mice and keyboards lock up. Programs freeze up. Common mode chokes at both ends of *all* computer wires seems to have mitigated it, but not completely. I put in a grounding system 11 years ago (7 ground rods) around my ham shack. I'm getting ready to dig it all up and do it over again using cadweld one-shots this time.

It's always somewhat of a guess when it comes to grounding issues.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The monitor turning off when you transmit could be a very nice improvement/feature for your station. :)

Turning off distractions when operating on the radio can be a good thing. :cool:

Kind of like being able to put your wife on mute. :oops:

W0CD likes this.
  10. KB7HF

KB7HF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Similar problem, my solution was to remove the DVI cable from the computer to monitor and use a HDMI cable instead. So far it works.

W0CD likes this.