Computer Monitor Turns off on Transmit

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0CD, Sep 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC tests devices for received RFI resistance?

only to the extent that they don't emit spurious radiation,................. I might be wrong

2. WB6CXC

WB6CXC Ham Member QRZ Page

You're not wrong. Some customers may require EMI resistance or hardening (military, etc), but this is not part of the FCC part 15 consumer or commercial product regulations.

3. W0CD

W0CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fast forward a few weeks and I still haven’t gotten the issue resolved. I purchased several clamp on ferrite and placed them along the monitor power supply cord. No luck.

My antenna has a built in balun (Diamond HF5V) at the base. Would there be any use in putting a choke just in front of it?

4. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 2 identical make and model Samsung monitors, touch control no buttons, sitting side by side, anything over 20watts on 40 meters will turn the left one off, tried switching them around, the same monitor will switch on and off and sometimes lockup. and that happens weather I use the 40 meter alpha delta diploe or the hustler 6btv

W0CD likes this.
  5. W0CD

Mine’s not touch control, but it has the same symptoms for sure.

6. W0CD

Interestingly, it doesn’t happen if I hold the power brick in my hand or rest my foot on it while it’s on the floor.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried wrapping it in aluminum foil ?

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Forgive me for asking, but just to be clear: Did you wrap the cords through the ferrites several times? The choking impedance goes up as the square of the number of turns. Did you put the ferrites on every cord going into the monitor? Did you also put one on the AC cord of the power supply?

9. IW1CBG

IW1CBG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To me the monitor didn't turn off, but I also had lines with a few Wat on 40 meters, I used the ferrites on the power cable and on the signal cable to the monitor with little result.
    I solved the problem by perfectly tuning the antenna, even with a 2: 1 ROS it gave me problems, even going through a tuner.
    I advise you to check the antenna and add some ferrite to the coaxial cable between the RTX and the tuner / antenna.
    I have solved this.

W0CD likes this.
  10. W0CD

Thanks for the note. I wrapped each side of the”brick” several times in several ferrite cores. So it includes the AC cord portion and the portion that leads to the monitor.

The aluminum foil hack didn’t work.