ad: KF7PMW-1

Computer Monitor Turns off on Transmit

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0CD, Sep 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WB6CXC

WB6CXC Ham Member QRZ Page

And what makes you think the new supply won't exhibit the exact same problem? Any product, even properly-designed ones, will be susceptible to EMI, if the EMI is strong enough. And the problem is very likely inside the monitor, not the external power supply itself. Same issues apply.

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I was 'fortunate' to have had this problem with different brands and with monitors using both physical and 'touch' buttons.

My solution may be overkill, but it may prevent other similar problems along the way:

a) A common mode choke using Fair-Rite mix #43 at the antenna;
    b) An MFJ-915 on the other end of the coax, close to the radio;
    c) Clamp-on ferrites on the monitor cable carrying the video signal.

3. W0CD

W0CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the tips (all posters). I have a bit to check and will provide feedback when resolved.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Not all supplies are built equally. And even if the supply appears to be exactly the same, well, it depends on which manufacturer Dell bought from this month.

My long experience with Dell tech support — going back to when they were still PC’s Limited — is that so long as you are reasonable, the squeaky wheel DOES get the grease. Telling them that a power “brick” went bad before it should, and reasonably asking for a replacement, ought to be enough. If the replacement has the same issue, then a follow-up call should escalate the situation.

And if it doesn’t, then you have established a reasonable chain of events that fall under the general umbrella of the “lemon law.” Let’s say 2 or more replacements have the same issue; well then, maybe it’s not the “brick” but the monitor. You can reasonably request a replacement, or a credit towards a replacement, to another model monitor that ought not have the same issues.

But you do have to reasonable. Ask for too much, or too much too soon, and they can say “no”. But if you hear “no” when you think you shouldn’t, ask to speak to a Supervisor or Manager or that the issue be escalated to the next tier. Higher level support, to say nothing of managers, have more leeway than first level.

It’s all in how you ask and who you ask, but you CAN get the results you want.

5. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think your monitor is fine. Why does it need to be on when you are transmitting, anyway? Unless, maybe, you are using one of those dreaded digital modes, where the computer tells you what it is doing, and you are at its mercy? :p :p :p

6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a monitor with a soft power on button that overloaded on the sniff of rf and would lock the monitor up. It when in the bin, not much i could do to fix it.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, that soft power is worthless Rob. Hard power or nothing! :D

Oh, and thanks for taking summer back. I was just getting used to it.... :p

VK4HAT likes this.
  8. KM4JB

KM4JB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a similar problem with a couple of 27" monitors that I used. They were two "identical" monitors ordered about 2 weeks apart. The first one would shut off when transmitting on 20m, the other one was fine.

I wrapped about three loops of the power lead where it goes in to the monitor in a clamp on ferrite (no idea the mix, just one that had come with something and was in the box) and that completely eliminated the issue.

I have since replaced it with a known quality mix 31 and added one to the other monitor, just in case.

W0CD likes this.
  9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Believe it or not, in cases like these, inches in monitor positioning can make a big difference. Actually, even moving my leg under the desk, or standing up, would sometimes make the monitor come alive again during TX.

Cabling re-routing is also an option, try it. If it does not fix the problem, go for the measures I posted earlier.

This is RF going where it's not supposed to, no ifs, ands, and buts.

W0CD likes this.
  10. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

My Samsung 22 inch monitor with touch controls does the same thing, or it will bring up the settings menu whenever I key up on 20 meter QRO. It has an internal power supply and way out of warranty. Eventually I’ll add a choke to my vertical and that should help a lot. I think the key is just avoiding models with touch controls.

How these things manage to pass FCC testing for receiving interference is beyond me.