Computer issues started after taking out RAM and putting it back in help??

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KEVIN250, Apr 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KEVIN250

KEVIN250 QRZ Member

Let me spell out the situation:
    Back in February, I bought two new RAM sticks for my computer, and put them in. I'm fairly inept when it comes to this computer business, so I accidentally put them in the wrong slots, which of course meant that the computer wouldn't start, so I took them out and put the old ones back in thinking these new ones were broken or something. But when I turned the computer back on, all was well, except games were now super laggy and stuttery.

As far as I could tell there was no reason for this. I looked up what the symptoms of a fried motherboard or RAM was, and none of them seemed to fit my predicament. I wasn't losing files, and my computer wasn't randomly blue-screening, so what gives? (As far as I can tell, the stuttering only occured in 3D games as well, by the way. In addition to that, starting up programs also takes longer than normal.) I spoke to a friend of my sister's who knows way more about computer than I do, and she suggested that we reset the Bios. And so, in the course of an evening, we took the computer apart to restart the Bios aaaaand... the situation stayed the same.

She suggested that I run Memtest from the boot screen, but there's an issue with that as well. Sometimes, the computer won't even start, just screaming out a series of beeps when I try. Other times, the computer will start just fine. Peculiarly enough, it'll start just fine if I shut down the computer at night, and then restart it in the morning, but not if I shut it off and then immediately turn it back on.
    Nobody I've spoken to seems to know what the issue is or how to fix it.

Is there anybody here that has any ideas?

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I may not have the answer, but for others to help, you should provide more information.

What kind of computer? Laptop/Desktop? What OS are you running? How much memory did you start with? What size was the memory sticks you bought? How much memory does it show now?

You can check your memory, when the system is up, using a right click on the "Start" menu and selecting "System". That should show you the current memory size. Is it what you expect? Games usually require a lot of memory. If you reinserted the original memory wrong, this could be the problem. You may have accidentally reduced available ram.

I have had the "screaming out a series of beeps" problem with one of my laptops. It was caused by a sticky key on the keyboard. I was able to remove the keyboard and operate with an external USB keyboard. The WiFi broke at the same time and I replaced it with a USB WiFi dongle. That laptop works all day every day now.

3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How much memory does it now believe that it has? Is it possible that one of the sticks is either incorrectly installed or has been damaged? If you are running low on memory, then it will swap to disk and things can get very slow. Pull up the task manager (right click in the toolbar along the bottom of the screen and choose it from the menu), then select the "Performance" tab and check the amount of memory it's seeing.

Martin (G8FXC)

P.S. I should have read the previous reply first! What he said!

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like you may have installed one (or more) of the "original" memory modules either incorrectly, or incompletely. Not sure what "the wrong slots" means; most new(er) motherboards aren't particularly critical about memory slots, although some may be. It would help a LOT if you describe:

1. Type/model computer, or better yet, the motherboard used.
    2. The original memory module(s) used. (Give as much info as possible.)
    3. The replacement memory you tried; number of modules and memory size .
    4. Memory type and speed of new and old memory. (E.g., DDR4, DDR3, or what?)

5. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Your problems might be because of one of the four rookie mistakes.

One. Removing and inserting memory:

The tabs on the end(s) is(are) used *only* to remove memory.

remove.jpeg

To install memory, ensure the key is lined up with the socket:

tab.jpeg

And push down equally on both ends of the memory stick until the tab(s) click(s) in by themselves(itself).

install.jpeg

Second. How long did you wait after turning off power before removing memory? Today's power supply takes more than a few seconds to bleed off the voltage from the capacitors. I've destroyed memory recently because I didn't wait long enough. Recovery from this is installing one memory stick at a time (closest to the CPU) and seeing if it boots. You can isolate the bad memory stick doing this one at a time. You can also run a memory test on each one to make sure.

Third. Most computers today have at least a dual-channel memory controller. If there are four sockets and you have only two memory sticks (matched, of course), one goes on one memory controller, the other goes in the other memory controller. Otherwise, you're slowing your computer down by half. LOOK AT THE MOBO MANUAL and follow their instructions. If it has a triple-channel memory controller, you need three sticks for maximum performance.

Fourth. Make sure your memory speed matches your maximum PROCESSOR speed. Most mother boards can handle faster, but there's no point in getting memory faster than your CPU can run at. You may also be installing slower memory. In that case, the processor runs slower.

Answer some of the above questions and you may get a more precise answer on your particular problem. Good luck.

WF7A likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

Many "gurus" now recommend (after, OBVIOUSLY un-plugging) the computer (COMPLETELY disconnecting the computer from the wall (or the power cord removed from the power supply,) not just shutting it "down," and pressing and holding the "power switch" on the machine front panel for several seconds, to more quickly bleed off capacitor charges. You should ALWAYS unplug the computer BEFORE you even open the case.

7. W5UAA

@WA9SVD - you're mocking "gurus" who say press and hold the power switch on a computer for several seconds to more quickly bleed off capacitor charges, right?

In the Air Force, new jet mechanics are often indoctrinated by being told to "go get some prop wash."

8. WA9SVD

No, absolutely on the contrary. Sorry you took offense at the term; it was NOT meant to be derogatory.

Do you somehow DISAGREE with the advice given?:confused:

9. W5UAA

Yes, given how a computer power switch is used to turn a computer on and off these days, it's a waste of effort. Pressing the power switch does not put any load on the power supply after disconnecting the power cord. My advice is just wait a minute after disconnecting the power cord.

10. WA9SVD

YMMV, but pressing the "Power" button AFTER unplugging the computer DOES apparently "bleed" the Voltages; otherwise, WHY would the case and CPU fans come on briefly (about 1/2 -1 second, and then die?) (It doesn't happen with ALL computers.) It may well take OVER a minute for the power to "die" after unplugging the computer alone. Of course, it usually takes longer than a minute to simply remove the cover (or side panel, whichever applies.)
    On modern computers, the "power" switch is actually a "SOFT" switch, and connects to the MoBo, not across the AC mains. SOME power supplies (or computers) don't even HAVE a switch on the power supply to turn off the AC! Such systems are ALWAYS on a "little bit."

AB2YC likes this.