Computer got S-L-O-W

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K9FV, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

I just put this system together a couple of months ago - blazing fast..... well for me anyway. It's a AMD dual core with 2 gig ram. System worked really nice - and FAST for a while. Had a couple of friends comment how fast it was.... yea, I know it's not "bleeding" edge, but pretty good for a $400 box.

For the last couple of weeks this thing is SLOW. I click on WORD and it takes a good 30 sec to open up to a blank page. I am running a MP3 Splitter program tha before would split a 400 meg MP3 file to multi 4 meg files in a couple of minutes - now it will take 10 minutes at least.

I am running the standard windows firewall with AVG 7.0 anti-virus that is updated each day. When I re-scan the AVG tells the computer is secure. There are about 5 windows system files that have been changed. I should have wrote those down - but the file size was made just a bit larger - interesting huh?

Last night I un-installed the AVG program and downloaded and installed the AOL version of McAfee anti virus thinking a new program might tell me something more. It scanned giving the computer a "secure" rating and did not find the "changed" files as AVG.

I open up windows task manager and view the only programs shown running are the ones that should be there. Them memory usuage is in line with what should be there, BUT there are so many programs it's hard to tell what should be there and what is not correct.

Any ideas before I do a full re-format the HD and delete all partitions and start from scratch?

Thanks for any ideas,

73 de Ken H>

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I was running Spybot and Norton and my computer was slow, I found uniblue and it found two trojons and some registry issues that the others did not find.. Back to normal now. I also ran CCleaner it helped also. You never know ... good luck.

3. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are my recommendations: (& the mentioned downloads are free)

First, put AGV back on & take that AOhelL thing off. (NEVER use anything AOL OR any Norton Antivirus - suite or otherwise - they will screw up your computer big time)

AVG doesn't catch malware & trojans so get ad-aware & run it, my guess is that one (or both) got you.

Next you may want to clean up the HD - get rid of tmp files & any other unnecessary stuff.

Then run a defrag.

Wouldn't hurt to run a diag if the above doesn't find anything.

If you don't have a hardware firewall, may want to change your software one to something like zone alarm. It will help you see what is going in & out.

Get Firefox & put the add-on, "no-script" & "ad blocker plus" on it.

This should keep out the "junk".

4. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info - the only reason for the AOL thing was it's McAfee and I was looking for something to compare the AVG scan to. I can remember when being called an "AOLer" was considered an insult {grinning}.

I have been using the AVG for several years now with good results. I did not understand the AVG scan results where it say "computer secure", but then would list those 5 Windows system files as "changed" due to file size being made a bit larger - only a few k more, but I didn't think the system files should EVER change in size unless infected?[​IMG]

Thanks for the info.

Ken H.

5. N8UZE

N8UZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Clean out all the temporary internet files. Even though stored on the hard drive, they still cause the whole system to slow down.

6. KB1PLB

KB1PLB Ham Member QRZ Page

These are all freeware, you can google for the sites

AV
    AVG or Avast

Spyware
    Spybot-search and destroy or ad-aware

Firewall
    Kerio personal firewall (is about the best free)

File cleaner
    ccleaner (crapcleaner)

Malware
    hijackthis (this is for an advanced user, but you can post the results to their forum and they can tell you what has taken over your system.

BTW, always make sure your windows updates are up to date and take one sunday a month to scan your system with all the above.  Once you have a clean scan back-ups are imperative, some things can never be replaced.  My recomendation is always an external usb drive, I keep mine powered off unless I am backing something up. You can pick one up that holds 320G for about $100.

Stay safe

7. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you do all that and its still slow, make sure all your cooling fans are working. Some devices will go to a slower mode and/or shutdown in cases of excess heat.

Probably not your problem, but sometimes you can get performance issues because of that also.

Follow whats been outlined above first though. The odds of what I'm talking about are probably 5%, its 95% what they are saying [​IMG]

8. M0DSZ

M0DSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This "slowing down" forum comes up frequently. See what your PC is attempting to do on startup first of all. There is a simple freeware program called "Startup.exe" among others or just find "msconfig.exe" on your PC. One of your applications may be constantly trying to update itself and hold up the rest. AVG doesn't take long to do this but I agree to get rid of AOL and anything to do with Norton, even if you've paid for it. McAfee sometimes takes an age also.

9. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

Excellent list. I would add under Spyware:

Lavasoft - AdAware SE Personal

to include their "add-ons", which search for and eradicate specific "nasties", like the VX2 worm.

Also, for a free registry cleaner, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner is a terrific program. "CCleaner" is also a great registry cleaning tool, plus it has a "tools" section where you can view and eliminate startup items ... and it occasionally shows items which Windows doesn't.

Spybot S&D is much improved in the last year or so. I run this utility on all my machines every two weeks.

A Firewall program that received little attention, but does a terrific job, is "Filseclab". Been using here for years. It does a nice job communicating what actions it has taken, and is fully customizable. Online testing of this firewall rated it as "excellent" for protecting your system against intrusions.

I suggest using all of the listed utilities, as no single program will ever catch all of the malicious code on your machine.

10. VK2AKG

VK2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

Was certainly my problem. About a month or so ago my PC slowed _markedly_ (as measured by backup logs - I create and test a lot of _large_ encrypted ARJ32 archives most nights).

After re-doing all the malware checking, defragging, ad-awaring, virus scanning, memtesting & norton's disk doctoring etc several times I decided to have a peek in the box.

It was amazing how much dust those cooling cult fans had sucked into the heatsinks. The CPU and video card heatsinks were so clogged with dust that there was no room for airflow despite having fans that move more air than my vacuum cleaner and make more noise than a Fokker Friendship on takeoff.

To resolve this I opened up the power supply and gave it a clean, pulled the video card ditto, removed the CPU heatsink and gave it a run under high pressure water to remove the dust firmly wedged between the close spaced fins, cleaned off the hardened heatsink paste from both CPU and heatsink (it was just under 1mm thick!! presumably the OEM thought "if a little bit of heatsink paste is good then a lot must be better").

end result was the processing speed increased about 8 (eight) times! (from measured duration of backup process mentioned above, building and testing _large_ encrypted archives is a processor intensive task).

So, if you can't find another cause, it's certainly worth opening the box and having a look at the heatsinks.

73 & good luck, Frank VK2AKG@wia.org.au

PS ARJ32 is a really great archiving / compression utility with a command set suitable for scheduled batch file operations see http://www.arjsoftware.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.