Computer generated CW

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KF0GYE, Oct 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KF0GYE

KF0GYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone know anything about running CW computer generator programs and what is needed to interface computer keying with grid block keying. I have a Kenwood TS 830S and am trying to figure out what kind of adaptor I need.

2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having the computer drive a reed relay would usually work well.
    How to do that may involve knowing how the computer outputs the CW signals.
    Some use the RS-232 port and some use an audio tone. You'd have to research this.
    The use of a reed relay negates the problems of polarity and mostly the level of voltage being keyed.

Hope this helps
    Gary

KF0GYE and K1LKP like this.
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

GARY - @KO6WB HIT THE NAIL SQUARELY ON THE HEAD.

REED RELAY.jpg

THESE REED RELAYS ALSO COME IN A 12 VOLT VERSION

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233265151739?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1dqvO2awxR22eQMuvJq4AeQ30&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=233265151739&targetid=1262376588896&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=2840&poi=&campaignid=12873834661&mkgroupid=123950835322&rlsatarget=pla-1262376588896&abcId=9300536&merchantid=8550204&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwpuA4cLa8wIV1cDICh00ogjmEAQYAiABEgLhqfD_BwE

YEARS AGO IS USED THE REED RELAY TO KEY A DRAKE TR-4.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT SPEED.

THESE REED RELAYS WILL WORK FB BEYOND 70 WPM.

HERE IS SOME ADDITIONAL INFO REGARDING THIS MATTER.

http://www.n3fjp.com/cwschematic.html

73 ES HAVE FUN WITH WONDERFUL WORLD OF MORSE.

KF0GYE and KO6WB like this.
  4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would skip the relay and get something like a Keyall. They may be out of stock right now, but they provide all of the information needed to build one yourself. There are only a couple of parts. A PC board would be nice, but can easily be built on some spare copper clad board.

Also, if you go through the schematics for some older keyers, like the Heathkit HD-1410, the keying circuitry is made to handle any kind of keying. The circuit is easy to replicate.

K1LKP, KF0GYE and NW2K like this.
  5. NW2K

NW2K Ham Member QRZ Page

The Keyall circuit is the way to go. It accommodates grid block and cathode keying at "high" voltages. It will key most anything reliably and at QRQ.

KF0GYE likes this.
  6. KF0GYE

KF0GYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will check them out not sure I'm up to building something my self but will check everything out

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MARTIN,

THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP ON THE KEYALL PRODUCT.

I JUST SHARED THIS INFO WITH OUR CLUB MEMBERS.

https://groups.google.com/g/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club/c/aCWMjpYVh9s

LIKE I LUV CW & CFO.jpg
    :):):)==..==========:):):)

8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You might check with your local ham club. There should be someone there that is fairly experienced in home brew.