ad: vanity

Comprehension

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KW1L, Aug 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9AED

N9AED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Whichever tone best penetrates the noise floor.

2. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

500 Hz here. Lower frequency lets me pick different callers apart easier in a pileup.

My context is shaped by many years as a musician. Low frequency pitch is a lot easier to discern.

Jim KF9VV

WA1GXC likes this.
  3. NT4G

NT4G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

750-800Hz

4. NT4G

NT4G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But thats normal hearing . Our Gen. has a wide range of hearing loss freq . nt4g

5. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots for very good, straightforward answers given. I'll just add this:

The audio CW tone that is most comfortable on a clear frequency for short to moderate periods of time may not be best to bust through a crowded DX pile up or contest, or for extended periods of copy on a clear frequency. If you find you are getting fatigued and losing concentration during a long CW reception, try adjusting the pitch of the CW signal up or down a bit and it may help.

You can't do this on some transceivers without adjusting your transmit frequency a little also. I don't recommend changing your transmit frequency after you establish contact. If your transceiver doesn't have a CW Pitch adjustment then use your RIT to slightly move your receive frequency a bit to achieve a new fresh pitch for a while.

Also, when calling a contester or DX station working a pile up, you might want to call a short distance off frequency to make the pitch of your received signal by the DX station stand out from the crowd. When I'm working in a contest in Run Mode and have lots of callers at the same time, it's not easy to pick out a callsign when 3 or more callers are on the exact same frequency and thus have the same pitch audio signal in my headset. A caller slightly off frequency will have a little different pitch and many times a weaker, off pitch signal will be more readable than a group of strong signals at the same pitch. Be careful to only move off frequency just a bit, because usually the contester or DX station will be using a narrow bandwidth CW filter, and you would be heard if you move out of the other stations receive pass band.

DM2TT, WA1GXC and WZ7U like this.
  6. NI0C

NI0C Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the reasons I bought a K-3 back in 2008 was that it had adjustable pitch 300 to 800 Hz in ten Hz increments. I have it set to 360 Hz most of the time.

DM2TT likes this.
  7. DM2TT

DM2TT Ham Member QRZ Page

4-500hz here,sometimes even lower.I did nearly 30 years EME,mostly cw,proper eme.
    Hearing that low,or even lower,seperates the code best from the noise for me.
    And i worked cw all this time without a cw filter,as VHF/UHF radios most time wouldnt have that.Or lets say there is zero qrm,so no need.
    But what you really learn is to cut out the hiss in your head.
    I ve read somewhere that the trained human brain can equal a 50Hz cw
    filter easy...
    Olli

WA1GXC likes this.
  8. AI5DD

AI5DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use 640Hz, because that's close to what was used during WW2 by the U.S. which I believe was 641Hz.

NK8I and N6YWU like this.
  9. AI5DD

AI5DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NI0C likes this.
  10. NI0C

NI0C Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That video is dated 1966. The guy sure has an excellent fist with his straight key. The tone on his practice oscillator does appear to be close to 640 Hz, with some harmonic content.

AI5DD likes this.