ad: UR5CDX-1

Comprehension

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KW1L, Aug 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

And then when you pick a tone (if you pick the perfect tone for your ears...), assemble a simple "tuned/resonant CW speaker."

A simple length of PVC (~11 inches for 600 Hz... if I remember correctly), small hole over the actual speaker, attached to one end of the ~11 inch PVC and... MAGIC!

I put one together. It's amazing how it makes that tuned/resonant frequency/pitch STAND OUT and COME ALIVE!

duckduckgo that term. Lots of videos, web sites, other people's experience with it.

NK8I, WZ7U and KE8OKM like this.
  2. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IIRC, the modern Kenwoods (like my TS-590S and SG) all default to 800 Hz CW sidetone.

Works OK for me. My hearing loss is up over 2 KHz.

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Scientific information? None.

Information from experience? It's all about personal preference. Most CW ops prefer something between 500 and 800 Hz.

When it comes to Morse Code/CW, many things come down to what works for YOU.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

KF9VV, PU2OZT and AD5HR like this.
  4. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually stick with default. Sometimes I'll change it with RIT while in a QSO--sometimes that is necessary if their radio drifts (not that mine ever would!).

5. G0TNU

G0TNU Ham Member QRZ Page

I also find these frequencies about right.
    Tinnitus is very anoying & varies in sound with me.
    Thank god its not continuous.

PU2OZT likes this.
  6. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After 20+ years of working around jet engines, I am now using 500Hz, may have to go lower.
    73,Chuck
    N0NC

WA1GXC and PU2OZT like this.
  7. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a discrete notch in my hearing from just one 30-second exposure to the noise from a Nihon YS-11A. I was walking the wing-tip
    as it was taxiing-out from a tight parking spot. 2 x Rolls-Royce Dart Mk. 542-10 turboprop engines, biggest they ever built; Man's perfection
    for turning kerosene into noise.

All it takes is one exposure--electric drill, Milwaukee Sawz-all, lawn mower, big city subway platform, one radio contact. Above a certain
    threshold, once it's gone, it's gone--the body cannot repair the damage.

Be careful, guys and gals. You don't know what you'll be missing until it's too late. There is no such thing as being too cautious with your hearing--
    ignore when others kid you about wearing hearing protectors. By the way, those 3M/E-A-R yellow ear foam-plugs offer as much protection
    for non-impulse noise as professional 'headphone' type hearing defenders. But they should not be relied upon for impulse-type noise for those
    who are firearms practitioners.

WZ7U likes this.
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

PU2OZT likes this.
  9. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great advices and warnings!

Before embarking for the very first time gifted myself one of these
    [​IMG]
    was pretty expensive, had to go to a distant aviation shop in Paris, took some place inside my bag, anyway, I never left the control-room to enter the engine room without the headset.

If took 20s to grab it, others sure shouted to hurry up, but my response was «You fools, company won't replace your hearing cells!!»

Same story in the industry, compressors, cryogenic turbines... and the worst offenders, safety-valves, if one suddenly opened while you were close and unprotected, Game Over.

Oliver

WZ7U, KD2RDG and WA1GXC like this.
  10. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

I checked and I've been using 500 hz. I think 600 is easier to hear but less comfortable over long time periods. Sorry I can't be more scientific than that.

WA1GXC likes this.