ad: M2Ant-1

Comprehension

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KW1L, Aug 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KW1L

KW1L Ham Member QRZ Page

Any scientific information on what tone / pitch would give me the best comprehension of receiving CW with normal hearing range? Thanks

AI7NN likes this.
  2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

K8PG likes this.
  3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank goodness for adjustable sidetones & BFO's :D

Dit Dit

K1LKP, W7UUU, UT7UX and 3 others like this.
  4. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends in part on what other sounds are in your audio. Noise. Most people get along well with 400 to 600 Hz.

K8BZ and N3FZ like this.
  5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The older I get, the lower side and receiving tone I like.
    Now it's 530 Hz that I set in my new Icom 7300.

6. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m a 6o0 Hz kinda guy but that is probably mainly due to it being the default. I have tried others but always seem to go back to 600 Hz.

YMMV

7. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to find an audiologist to administer a hearing test.
    The test will scientifically reveal to you what range of tone(s) you pick up on at miniscule volume.
    I have severe tinitus with two or three tones in each ear during my waking hours 24/7.
    I used the sidetone linear adjustment on the G4FON CW tutor to find my "sweet-spot" tone... 650-670Hz.

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

NI0C, K1LKP, W5BIB and 2 others like this.
  8. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously, any hearing limitations due to loss (we all have some) are a factor. But hearing loss and notches usually at higher pitch.

Experienced CW operators will tell you, and it is a scientifically-correct observation, that your brain can better pick-out and discern two
    closely-space tones when you adjust to a relatively -low frequency; that's because their frequencies are relatively more widely-separated proportionally. Try a little experimenting yourself--You'll find in an interference situation,
    you'll pick out your desired signal more easily as you go low.

The only issue when using 'real' radiotelegraph operator's headphones is that many of them have freq. response that rolls-off quite quickly as you near
    the bottom; also, many have natural peaks in response. If a CW signal is very weak with no interference, I'll maybe move-up just a bit to get the natural
    resonance; but in interference, it's down, down. My normal-habit tone without interference is probably 350Hz. New operators listen to tones like they hear
    in the movies and TV-- 1000 Hz or higher. Sounds like a dog whistle to me. You can usually gauge experience inverse to frequency.

Try it. Maybe sounds odd at first, but that'll pass.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    NI0C, K1LKP, AG6QR and 2 others like this.
  9. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

K1LKP and WA1GXC like this.
  10. VE3HIX

VE3HIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps it's unscientific but if you listen to a range of sidetone frequencies, you can pick the one that is the loudest in your resonating speaker or earphones. This will also select the center audio frequency for receiving on a modern transceiver and give you a slight edge on weak signals.

Cheers,
    Bob

PU2OZT likes this.