Completely dead AL-811

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WX3P, Feb 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. WX3P

WX3P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Help!

Was working fine - shut off and came back a few hours later

Won't power on - fuses good, switches good. AC to circuit board good

I've looked over the circuit and can't see any other components that could be bad other than the transformer.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Jack WX3P

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Low level problem, you are missing something. Maybe a bad outlet or wire on plug bad.

3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you checked BOTH mains fuses? (never understood why these have a fuse in BOTH the mains leads !)

What about the microswitch that interupts the mains feed when the case is off? I bet that has failed (gone open circuit)

Do you have a soft-start circuit installed, which has gone wrong?

Can you measure AC across the transformer input winding?

If so, you wouldn't usually expect no output from ANY of the output windings on the transformer ! (even if one has gone open, which is unlikely)

Transformers that fail usually go shorted-turn (and fry themsleves), not open circuit !

Roger G3YRO

4. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

First thing I would do is measure resistance across the AC plug, with switch ON. Sudden failure would indicate broken wire or a fuse.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The AL-811 has a high voltage indicating meter right on its front panel.

Does it indicate "no voltage?"

Are the tube filaments lit or dark?

6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

As I said before, my money is on the Safety Microswitch that interupts the mains feed . . .it's located near the mains fuses on the back panel.

Either it has gone open circuit . . . or the case is no longer pressing down on it properly!

(if I'm working on one of these Amps I just solder a wire across it)

Roger G3YRO

7. WX3P

Thanks all

Ok - update - a previous owner had installed non-standard fuses it appears. Replacing with correct fuses, I get momentary power and then one fuse blows.

I am going to remove the tubes and see what happens

8. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Test the capacitors one by one out of circuit (after checking them with a meter to be certain they are discharged before touching. Ideally you test them with an LCR meter. However, if one is shorted then an ohm meter should show this as a low resistance that does not increase over time (from a good capacitor charging off the meter's power source).

If one is bad it is best to replace them all, and the bleeder resistors while you are at it.

9. WX3P

Bad tube - Thanks all

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With 811As, this is no big surprise.

If you replace them with 572Bs, they'll last forever (and fit the same sockets, no modifications required).