ad: w5yi

Complete Collins Station to be auctioned!

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KK4NSF, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I just learned yesterday that a complete Collins Ham Station is going to be auctioned off at the Deep South Amateur Radio Club Hamfest on Oct 12, in Mobile AL It was donated to the club by the estate of a much-loved SK, who obviously took great care of it.

The station consists of a Transmitter, Reciever, Some other bit of gear (maybe a tuner), Speaker, and an amp the size of a small refrigerator! I'm not a Collins afficianado myself, but I do know a bit about old radios..... and this is probably the nicest old station I've seen. If you are a Collins guy, you probably know far more about the station than I do... but if I had the room, I'd certainly bid on it.

It will be a live auction at the hamfest, possibly with phone bids accepted, but no online bidding. Other than that, I don't have any more info at the moment. When I learn more about bidding details, I'll post them here.

Dave
    KK4NSF

collins4.jpg collins3.jpg collins2.jpg collins1.jpg

K3XR likes this.
  2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The equipment does appear to be in excellent condition.

For SSB, the 32S-1 / 75S-1 are excellent. However, the 32S-1 should NEVER be used for CW. Unfortunately, Collins used the side-tone CW generation method in the transmitter and that produces at least 3 simultaneous signals and, in some cases, 5 signals.

Glen, K9STH

technical adviser-1a.jpeg

KK4NSF likes this.
  3. KK4NSF

thanks for the info.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice-looking 30S-1.

A "rear view" would be telling for those who know the amp and may be interested.

5. KK4NSF

I'd love to have a few pics of the back, too. Unfortunately, I'm just relaying info and don't have direct access to it at the moment. BUT I'll call the club president and see if he can send some over. As soon as he does, I'll post them here.

6. KK4NSF

here are a few more pics.

Attached Files:

7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

The one Collins station I'd be interested in is an HF-380/451-S1 "twins" setup. The receiver is as rare as hen's teeth.

Runner-up is a TR-4310/R-4245 ensemble. At least I've seen those come up for sale periodically.