Complete Broadcast Day recorded 9/21/1939

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0AEW, Jun 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

This came from the Internet Archive:

On September 21, 1939, the WJSV radio station in Washington, D.C. did something rare—it recorded and preserved all its programming for that day. Now those 19 hours of tapes are available on the Internet Archive, allowing modern radio enthusiasts to listen to quiz shows, music, news, advertisements, soap operas, and variety shows straight from the Golden Age of Radio. Tune in here!

I apologize if this isn't ham radio related but it is commercial radio related, and it's very strange too!

Linky

KF5KWO, KA3VSP, WZ7U and 4 others like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got that on my mp3 player for when I go walking. Or used to. I really enjoy listening to it.

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

THANK YOU!

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

My old computer is telling me that the "video file can not be played" and some error number. :(

Guess I'll have to try it on my laptop.

YES... works on the laptop.

When I heard the 'chime' at the beginning I expected to hear AC/DC "Hell's Bells" or Metallica. I guess they weren't around back then!o_O

N1VAU and AC3GO like this.
  5. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

sept 1,1939, a big day in europe huh...

6. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Shhhh. You'll give it away!

7. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

This is wonderful. TU.

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Brian Williams was there :)

NE4EB likes this.
  9. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Think this is the one with an Arthur Godfrey stint in the late morning or early afternoon.

10. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While much of the golden ages of radio were long before my time, I have always been interested in broadcast radio and enjoy listening to old clips and sound checks and "old time" radio programs. I have a friend that is also into older radio programming, I have never listened to anything quite this old, prior to this I have listened to old Dragnet recordings from the 50's but mostly clips from the 60's and 70's (lots of hours of CKLW recordings). My friend and I both decided to try to get through all 19 hours. On hour 4 right now so still a long way to go. I am most looking forward to the baseball game :)