"COMPACtenna" - fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK6QMS, May 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KM6AB

KM6AB Ham Member QRZ Page

Without testing the radiation pattern I would guess its similar to a 1/4 wave monopole over a ground plane on its lowest band with a fairly low angle of radiation, then on 3X that frequency or 70cm it probably has some major lobes upward with less at the horizon. I miss my antenna range where I could have tested all this.

2. KC1DR

KC1DR Subscriber QRZ Page

Good report. Seems a shame that so many "experts" want to criticize this antenna simply because they do not like the personality of the inventor on a Youtube posting.

AI7PM likes this.
  3. KM6AB

I've also met Dr. Nilsson after I purchased my antenna and he was very interesting to talk with. He didn't go into any wild claims about the antenna and we had a very nice technical discussion and I learned a few things. Otherwise I don't pay much attention to advertising or other people's claims, especially those that have never used the product or compared it to anything else. I like to know how much better or worse something is compared to an item that is well known and documented. That is meaningful.

AI7PM likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Screenshot_2020-01-19-19-35-50.png

That's a ham radio dream
    Unfortunately people want to believe that it will work, but it's more like a nightmare when they try to use it.

What a joke, but people are sending them checks right and left for this great antenna!!!!

Once Upon a Time somebody got a patent on a dummy load and I've actually worked stations with a dummy load, but what do you think the efficiency of the dummy load was??? Compare this thing to a properly dinstalled half wave dipole and see how it Stacks up

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  5. KM6AB

Apparently this person did not read my experience with a tri-band COMPACtenna. May I ask if this person below has ever used one, or is this just a hunch?

KC1DR likes this.
  6. N1KSP

N1KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually bought a HAMR-7 and it is WAY out of spec on 10 meters. Probably useful at the top end of 11 meters. Mostly noise and no signal on 20 and 40. Trying to RMA as defective. I am on your side.

7. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

For a compact antenna, the little hamstick 40m mobile is about 4' and works. $20 or so. An old Webster "Band Spanner" will cover 80-10 at about 5 - 6 feet. The 'screwdriver' antennas work. Why aren't the mobile guys installing these fantastic antennas left and right?

8. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you expect the same relative signal levels when transmitting?

9. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good question! I have no idea how the ant. would work on transmit.

10. N1KSP

N1KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted below that I had an awful experience with the HAMR-7 however the issue was with a faulty MFJ magnet mount. After repairing the mount, I was able to make contacts around the States. You have to remember that this antenna is for those in a dire situation where there's ko hope to erect any other type of antenna. It fits the needs of those hams.

KC1DR likes this.