"COMPACtenna" - fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK6QMS, May 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK6YAE

KK6YAE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not really in the mood to debate, and/or convince you of the benefits and existence of metamaterial based antenna design. Google it, ignore it, trash it, whatever... It's going to be the future of all commercial antenna systems. (Possibly amateur too)

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not debating or arguing, and have nothing against fractal antennas. I was just looking for the information that you seemed to refer to. I'm sorry that you apparently find it annoying.

3. KK6YAE

Not really annoying, I'm just not in the mood to hunt down all the facts and information out there on it. Google and YouTube will doba much better job than I can at this point. Extremely small, Broadband, highly directional radiating, antennas with near zero return loss, are no longer just a pipe dream anymore. Look it up. You'll be glad that you did.

And... any ham who has a "secret patented design" on a very broadband antenna, may not be full of shit anymore if he's producing avmodel using metamaterial design and technology. Not saying this guy the post is about is doing that, but if he was, the doubters would be the fools in all actual reality. It's definitely food for thought, if nothing else.

4. KK6YAE

5. AH6LE

AH6LE Ham Member QRZ Page

Video reminded me of this..

After about a minute of the video, this came to mind:

6. WB8UFE

WB8UFE Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it interesting that there are so many negative comments by those that have not tested or even seen one of these antennas. If you were to do a search and read reviews by those that actually own one of these antennas, you will find some very happy users. It is really not helpful to dis something that you have never tried or tested. We need to be above the political fray that is ever so present in the modern world.

7. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

User reviews of snake oil antennas are useless. Not many are going to admit their fancy antenna works worse than a quarter wave whip at 19" tall...

KR3DX likes this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Things that work have a way of catching on. Things that don't tend to gradually disappear.....sometimes not so gradually.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

In that case, he would have to shoot you...

KC8VWM likes this.
  10. KA7CTM

KA7CTM Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't seen anyone on this thread that actually has one. I bought one a few weeks ago to complement the UHF VHF on a new rig. I have it mounted on the gutter of my house about 20 feet up. It seems like a decent unit although I am only comparing to 2m/440 mobile whips and rubber ducks. I am happy with it, I can hit both digital and analog repeaters that I wasn't able to before, it even worked just as well sitting inside in my office. My 2 cents.