"COMPACtenna" - fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK6QMS, May 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF6A

KF6A Ham Member QRZ Page

"superior science performance"

What exactly is that?

OH2FFY likes this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I vote for mostly fiction. There is no free lunch with antennas.

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was trying to decipher it all too. :)

FWIW, I have theorized it's possible to construct antennas in such a manner they have a horizontal radiation component, although the antenna may appear vertical in it's physical construction. This is because the feed point location will often determine how an antenna is polarized. I suspect there's something like that going on here, but I suspect it's being done in combination with multiple antenna elements arranged inside. Multiple antenna elements would adequately explain how the antenna would cut down on "flutter" and picket fencing.

For example, we know that moving your antenna an inch or two can often improve reception in a fringe enviroment, but if you install multiple elements inside that are cross polarized, then yes I suppose the additional antenna elements can actually serve to help "fill in" any dead spots in reception, because you are now using an antenna arrangement intended for diversity reception.

There's probably no "resistors" inside, but perhaps the tuning section is arranged on a small circuit board, or multiple circuit boards stacked on top of one another? It looks like a few small round circuit board disks might fit inside. Populate them with coils and capacitors and viola, you have a tuning section.

It probably works ok for what it is. Hard to make a really bad VHF/UHF antenna even if it's only 7" tall. For example, I have several HT antenna's around that size that would probably work pretty good if mounted to the roof of my car.

I guess anything works and marketing is everything.

OH2FFY likes this.
  4. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Dr Jack seems to be a Tech Class Ham.
    https://www.qrz.com/db/N8NDL

I would have expected a higher class of license by an antenna designer.
    His interest in the CB band is also -- odd.

He also seems to be behind the dead NilJon antennas , and mpantenna.com.

When in doubt , create another antenna company.

gregW:) OH2FFY

KA0HCP likes this.
  5. OH2FFY

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be interesting to dissect one of these antennas to see what's inside.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    KK6QMS and KD9CKB like this.
  7. OH2FFY

[​IMG]

KR3DX and KK6QMS like this.
  8. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait- when does he say that? I need to make a video meme. That's wonderful. Stupidly snake-oily wonderful.
    :)

9. OH2FFY

'Superior science performance' and 'Unique science' quotes can be found on their web page.
    https://compactenna.com/models/

Who in the right mind would write their web page text in JPG images , that's whole site not going to get indexed properly. (= Web n00b)

10. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

The line of M2 antennas produce similar results
    Mobile polarity shifting due to striking objects is a very well documented issue and any antenna that can operate in both planes has a clear advantage

Cell towers have been using polarity diversity for many years for that reason

And with digital communications it is even more important to reduce polarity shift degradation

In 2003, while attending an Alvarion training seminar in York Pa the company reps were asked when or if they were going to offer mobile data capability with their product, they stated that they were working on it but were still having issues with making it reliable while in motion

I suggested they try using CIRCULAR or ELIPTICAL polarization and both the reps and the entire class looked at me like I was from mars and I dropped the subject at that point

Now here it is 14 years later and the wireless data industry has fully embraced the idea

Sometimes you just have to wait for the industry to come around to YOUR way of thinking

MPANTENNA likes this.