"COMPACtenna" - fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK6QMS, May 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

More snake oil. I can't watch the whole thing without getting nauseous, but from skimming it, Dr. Jack is yet another fellow claiming to be the first to make use of Magnetic waves to "fill in" and reinforce weak signals. Blah, blah, blah.

I'm disappointed in Universal Radio for supporting such nonsense.

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I watched about half of the video.

I heard a lot of double talk.

Almost didn't get past the first minutes of "ummm, ahhhh, theeee, uhhhh" but that got a bit better as time went on.

Still reminded me of Professor Irwin Corey.

4. KK6QMS

Ya my gut feeling as well. He avoids eye contact unless saying "superb performance" etc. In addition and more importantly his attempt at explanations drone on with little substance. I'm no expert which is why I posted here. 73

(a good palette cleanser offering sound analysis of a different antenna: http://www.hamradio.me/antennas/lnr-precision-ef-102040mkii-examination.html)

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  5. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

On the contrary

As he explained, this has been around for decades

FM broadcast stations for example use "polarity diversity" to eliminate mobile flutter by using circular polarized antennas

I have installed quite a number of circular polarized antennas for mobile data antennas and the effect is similar

Due to the fact that all the drop outs due to polarity flip are reduced, a dual polarity, or circular polarity antenna will outperform single polarity antennas with much higher gain

The cell phone companies have for years used 2 separate antennas"spatial diversity" in order to reduce flutter

If these antennas do indeed operate in both polarities, they should work as described

AI7PM likes this.
  6. KK6QMS

Interesting makes some sense w reflected signals. Cell phones often use fractal flat plane pcb based antennas as well. Interesting stuff. Thx for the input. I'd still like to see the guts of this antenna and a good QST mag review.

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

So ya think that's how his "new" antennas work? With age old tech?

It took me like three minutes or less to read your post, do ya think he could have gotten rid of all the superfluous dramatics and explained it in like ten minutes or less? It's all that bs in the video that turned me off...

And never mind the fact that one antenna works from 10 all the way up to 450!

I say, SHOW ME THE RESISTORS!

ND6M, OH2FFY and KA0HCP like this.
  8. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is only ONE basic fact - electrical current flowing thru / along the electrical conductor generates both electrical and magnetic fields , thus an electrical conductor exposed to such fields should "generate" both electrical and "magnetic"currents.
    All under simple law that energy just changes from one form to another, it is never created or lost.

Does technology exists to detect both electrical and magnetic "currents" and distinguish between them in the receiving media?

Currently known and used communication technology just points to usage - generation and detection - of electrical field only.

The author neglects to clearly state how his "magnetic" antenna physically accomplishes the magnetic field detection.
    Not even his references to "previous" article are convincing.

His presentation would be much more enjoyable , albeit still technically a dud , if he would join Toastmasters.
    For reasons any Toastmaster ( I used to be one) detects in almost every sentence.

Perhaps only "tilt" detection devices are users of natural magnetic field of OUR rock spinning in Universe. Just my guess.

73 Shirley

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Show me the horizontal radiating element". Nothing new about cross polarized antennas.

Oh, and BTW, why is he going on about Magnet waves, then? It's mumbo jumbo.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll build you an array of them that will have a bizillion dB gain and you can fit it into a shoebox.

Just send cash. My address on QRZ.com is good. The first 20 dB is $1000, but it builds after that.

Thank you.

KR3DX and KA0HCP like this.