Common tool for making radial slots ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4TQF, Oct 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use enough staples, it's fine. I have only tripped once over such an installation, and it was where I had run the radials down into a depression and used an insufficient number of staples to hold the wire down into the low spot.

The last time I did a wire-on-ground installation with staples, it was completely eaten by the grass runners after just a few weeks. Completely buried.

OP: go to Lowe's and buy several bags worth of staples. Don't be cheap. Put one every 12" to 24" depending on the terrain, and you will be fine.

WD4ED likes this.
  2. WD4ED

WD4ED Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the only way to do this! Here in Virginia it takes about a month most times of the year for the wires to be buried on their own. Besides that, my back and attention span would never permit me to bury a pile of HF radials!

Thanks,

Ed

KK5JY likes this.
  3. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear the electric dog fence guys are the ones to call for this.

4. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I use nothing but ACME certified wireless radials. No digging, no mowing, no problems.

WD4ED likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sharp shooter.

6. WD4ED

WD4ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Aren't those the radials Wile E. Coyote used?

7. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

i found one of these in my shed (from previous owner) and had to come here for an answer (from the u.k.) as to what it was. i put in 8 wires at 33' @. took a few days because the ground was hard. worked, though.

8. W5WN

W5WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are an OF like me a gas edger is fine. I have a plastic blade that goes on my weed eater that is not too wide at all and the depth is easy to control. Also, here in Virginia the grass grows fast and thick in the spring. I just backfill with a little sand and within a month you would never know there are wires just below the grass.

When I was young I used a flat spade shovel and it was a breeze but my back cant take that anymore, especially when I have to lay down 60 wires 32 feet long each. Please don't think I'm a weak unit for using power tools.:D

W4IOA likes this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page