Common mistakes on HF phone?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W0AZZ, Mar 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I once listened to three operators all talk about what they had for lunch. They all went into great detail too, and believe me these lunches were nothing to talk about. I must have been late and missed their clinic visit topic.

2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

comment deleted due to poor taste.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  3. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had eye surgery on Monday and am going to have one on the other eye May 25. Shall we talk about it??? LOL I really worked.
    John, WB0MPB

4. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of good info already.

People make mistakes. It's how we humans learn.

Bet you won't do that twice. Problem solved.

Get in and operate. I'm fairly new, and although I've been around some form of radio or another all my life, it's time in the seat that new guys don't get enough of, me included.

Spend a lot of time listening. Listen to everything. See how people operate. Listen to ragchews, listen to contests, listen to DX. Learn your receiver and how to best retrieve the audio. You will very soon get the sense of what is and is not good operating technique. You'll easily separate the conscientious operators from the bone heads. And if you encounter the latter, just spin the knob.

I personally like contests and special event stations for practice. Special event stations like National Parks On the Air will generally give you a contact, a signal report, tell you a little something about what they're doing and maybe natter for a bit. Responding to a contest operator is get in, call sign, signal report and 73. It lets you get comfortable keying up and speaking and not worry about vapor-locking and not being able to produce coherent speech. (ahem)

Keep a scratch pad and pen on the desk, and jot down call signs and names as you hear them so that you don't have to struggle for it when you get the contact and when you draw a total blank at the end of the qso. (ahem)

Pick a quiet frequency in a band that has some activity and call cq. Someone will likely pick you up. Or tune around looking for cqs. I spend a lot of time wandering around doing that.

Set your equipment up correctly. Use the mic right, set the gain right, set the power right, be reasonably on frequency.

And don't be too hard on yourself.

KS4W likes this.
  5. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

If nothing else you have learned two things about those operators,at least they are unlike the CONTESTERS with there poor behavior or the continuing Group of malcontents engaged in the wholesale demise of this once fine pastime.As to the national parks on the air guys they are a example of how not to operate a station,No geographic indicator just a letter number scheme to drive web traffic and map sales just a waste of bandwidth.Sometimes id rater listen to fat boys fart,rather than hear pretty girls sing.

6. NL7IB

NL7IB Ham Member QRZ Page

A. Einstein

7. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

By being physically active?

KC9VFO and KD2ACO like this.
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

No... Tim 'The Tool Man' Taylor. Ar-ar-ar! :p:rolleyes:

9. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's slightly better than "What's your handle"

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FTV:

Time for a history lesson!

The term "handle", meaning one's name, has been used by amateur radio operators for well over a century! During the 1960s, 1970s, and into the 1980s, those 47 CFR Part 95 Subpart D radio operators, who were trying to "sound like" amateur radio operators, adopted the term just like those who wanted to sound like public safety officers adopted the 10-code. The term definitely did NOT originate with "CBers"!

However, amateur radio operators "stole" the term from the cowboys, cow punchers, ranch hands, etc., of the old southwest who have been documented to have been using the term as far back as the late 1820s.

There are a lot of other terms that are now attributed to CB that did not originate with that service including things like "skip", "base station", and so forth.

Frankly, the term "handle" was widely used during my SWL days of the 1950s and basically every amateur radio operator that I knew when I became licensed in the Spring of 1959 used the term. I still use the term and, upon the very few occasions when someone has made a "smart remark" about it, I definitely give them a history lesson!

I have posted an advertisement that was in CQ Magazine during the late 1940s where the term "handle" was used and can post that advertisement again if warranted.

Glen, K9STH