Common mistakes on HF phone?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W0AZZ, Mar 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0AZZ

W0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a relatively green general and have only made a few contacts on HF (2 from calling CQ and a few others from checking into nets, special events and contests). My question...what common mistakes do new guys make on HF?

I made the mistake of transmitting out of my permitted frequency last week. I had printed off a band plan from some website and didn't immediately realize the chart was old. When I looked at the ARRL site a few days later, it dawned on me that the transmission in question was in a frequency range reserved for extra level phone, not the general level. What else do the new guys tend to screw up?

2. N9NAY

N9NAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Biggest mistake is listening to the ramblings of prejudiced curmudgeons who can't stand the fact that the world is always changing.

Spin the dial.

K9ASE, K7XRL, W9FTV and 5 others like this.
  3. W0AZZ

W0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! Yes, I've hear the political arguments, some fool broadcasting an audio clip from the movie Full Metal Jacket and another audio clip with the Tarzan yell.....the nut jobs are plentiful.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Go to CW, much less of that nonsense.

N4NYK, N2EY and KK5JY like this.
  5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to ham radio,
    On HF never ever tune up on the frequency where you hear people talking. Always move up or down until you don't hear anyone, them "tune" then go back to the frequency.

Listen, listen then listen more before transmitting. Write down the frequency, time, call sign, name and any other important information before transmitting. Once you have all the information now try to make your contact. Always give your full call.

In a large pile up you can now give them your call sign, your name, a signal report and say "I have all your information". Thanks for the contact and say your call sign.

I always have all the information before I ever transmit.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    K9ASE, K6LPM, F4WBW and 1 other person like this.
  6. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

"What's your call?" should not be uttered nor heard, in an ideal world.

2E0WMG and N6QIC like this.
  7. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Study your frequency chart. This is something that you must know. It was a question on your technician exam and on your general exam.

Here are a few.
    40 meters never go below 7.175.00
    20 meters never go below 14.225.00
    10 meters never go below 28.300 for SSB

Also stay way clear of the edge of the band just to be safe.

K9ASE and N2EY like this.
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The same mistakes us OTs sometimes make. No one was hurt physically or financially... don't worry too much about it.

K9ASE, KB1HQS and KE0JJG like this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

First of all, don't ever break any regulations or an FCC agent will pop our of your closet and drag you off in handcuffs.:p

Joking. It's really just the opposite; there is very, very little rules enforcement and we are supposed to be "self policing." That is to say, other hams will usually let you know if you've made a boo-boo and the best response is, "Ooops, sorry. My mistake." And get on with life.

I think the biggest mistakes new hams make are:

-Not operating enough. Practice makes perfect, and while nobody's perfect, practice certainly helps, and you get better and better.

-Not fully understanding that signals don't come out of the wall outlet; they come from antennas, and the better and more effective the antennas are, the more you can work stuff.:)

W9FTV, WA8FOZ, KE0JJG and 2 others like this.
  10. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

or more accurately, don't transmit below 7.178 on LSB

K4RKY, N2EY and N8FGB like this.