Common Fldigi Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by K3DCW, Sep 10, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

99% of the time when you get that "Fldigi...quit unexpectedly" at startup, it is due to corrupted preferences files. The solution is simple.

Go to Finder and set it to show hidden folders (CMD+SHIFT+. (the period key)) Find the .fldigi folder. In that folder you'll find two files: fldigi.prefs and fldigi_def.xml. Rename each one something like fldigi.prefs.backup and fldigi_def.xml.backup and then try to start Fldigi again. It should pop up with the setup dialog. You'll have to go through the setup routine again, but that is better than having a non-functional Fldigi.

Pro Tip: Once you have a working configuration, make backup copies of these two files -- name them fldigi.prefs.working and fldigi_def.xml.working. If you get the corrupted preferences issue again, you can simply copy these files back over your originals (by copying and then removing the ".working" suffix) to restore a working configuration.

-----

If you have no receive audio in Fldigi but can transmit/send outgoing audio:

System Preferences
    Security and Privacy pane
    Under the "Privacy" tab, look for "Microphone" on the left-hand side.
    Select "microphone" and then allow Fldigi to access it.

Even though the USB Audio CODEC/SignaLink is obviously not a "microphone" in the true sense of the word, that's the way that macOS treats it. Once you allow Fldigi to access the microphone, you should be good to go.

-----

Any variation of "I have my SignaLink USB connected but do not have rig control."

The SignaLink USB interface is a sound card only and contains no provisions for CAT control. You need another USB-Serial (I always recommend the TrippLite USA-19HS) to connect your computer to the rig so that Flrig can control the radio.

-----

K7GQ and NN4RH like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.