Commentary on the state of license testing

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1VSK, Apr 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W9BFZ

W9BFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is BS and you know it. Your added emphasis in the original post very much told your opinion of the situation. If you didn't want to engender an impassioned discussion, why post it in the first place? You were trying to stir up a hornets nest, and it worked.

I would argue that this thread HAS been very constructive. It has certainly shown me the nature of several users of this forum. So I would like to extend my thanks to you for starting it. Even if it didn't get the results you hoped for (whatever those may be).

WJ4U, K7JEM and AC0GT like this.
  2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Not too judgmental, are you?
    That must be a very high pedestal you sit on...

I highlighted the text of his quote to differentiate it.

3. W9BFZ

Darn skippy. I'm kinda infamous among those who know me for being the person most likely to say exactly what I'm thinking. No obfuscation from me :)

4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that all? I'm pretty sure you said it was a reflection on the current state of Amateur radio licensing. What else did you expect from people to take away from this?

Just so people don't forget, this is what you highlighted.
    If you meant to imply a neutral stance on the state of Amateur radio licensing then you failed.

W9BFZ likes this.
  5. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I'm just easily confused ...

6. WD9GNG

WD9GNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your service! I also spend 6 years in the Army back in the early 70's. Glad to see veterans representing here. When I started at McDonnell Douglas being a veteran and a ham were important attributes. Most people I worked with in Data Communications back then were vets and hams. By the time I retired not so much.

AC0GT likes this.
  7. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here we go.... "I didn't have time" BS. If a grammar school student has time to learn CW, anyone has time to learn CW..... IF he has the intelligence. If he doesn't have the intelligence, that's fine. But there is no reason to try to fool anyone with "I didn't have time" BS.

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

You would think some people get paid by the post around here .....

You know who you are

ND6M likes this.
  9. W9BFZ

The difference between a grammar school student and myself (at the time) is a grammar school student wouldn't be driving an 80,000lb semi down the interstate.

EDIT: Missed a word

10. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is interesting. I made similar comments on people not upgrading from Advanced or Novice after nearly 20 years of the license not being issued and I get called all kinds of names. Yet when someone on QRZ mentions not learning Morse code there seems to be an implied permission to berate others on their ignorance, call such people lacking in intelligence, or consider them lacking any initiative. Perhaps I am being mean to people for not upgrading their license for 20 years but I'm failing to see the difference in how ignorance of Element 4 material is different than Element 1 material. Well, there is a difference and I'll get to that.

Can we have some consistency here? If it's considered okay to berate people for Morse code ignorance then it should be okay to berate people for Element 4 ignorance. If Advanced license holders can have pride in their not passing Element 4 then I'm going to be proud of not passing the Element 1. There's a difference between these two tests though, the Element 4 is still offered while the Element 1 is not. I have an excuse for not taking the test, no Advanced license holder can give the same excuse.

KV6O and W9BFZ like this.