Commentary on the state of license testing

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1VSK, Apr 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Has there been cheating in the VE System, yes.

Does every person who breaks a law, even as simple as speeding or a business owner who doesn't report every cash payment get caught?

Since FCC enforcement in the past 10-15 years has been almost non-existent, what is reported is likely just the tip of the iceberg.

2. K1FBI

Most obviously YES.
    (Actually we're)

K1OIK likes this.
  3. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Are people coming in off the street with no technical or other background relevant to the hobby, sitting through a short class, then passing the exam with no further effort?

That's impressive.

4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's almost like they learned something from the course.

N2EY, W9BFZ and W0VRA like this.
  5. AC0GT

Does anyone actually remember how this thread got started?

I didn't, so I went back to the beginning and read through the thread quickly. Seems to me that there's a group of people that see no problem with the current states of testing, and another group that say that there's something wrong but don't seem to be doing anything about it.

Further, it seems that those that see a problem have a problem identifying what the problem is exactly. The thread started with a recreational sailor commenting on getting an Amateur General license without much difficulty. I'm in the camp of not seeing a problem. If there is a problem then it must be defined before any solutions can be debated, no? So, what's the problem again?

In the discussion so far we had people point to outliers like a handful of preteens getting a license, or people obtaining a license fraudulently, as some sort of problem. Outliers don't define a problem. Perhaps the outliers define a different problem, but that's not recreational sailors getting their General license to use their marine SSB radio on Amateur frequencies.

I like the idea of recreational sailors getting an Amateur radio license. They'll add to people on the air, they get some training in using the radio (because there is no testing requirement for recreational licensing on marine SSB radios), and having this radio and training could save someone's life some day. Where's the downside to this? If there is a downside then what are you doing about it?

K7JEM likes this.
  6. K1FBI

If you're happy with seamen, I'm happy for you; no problem.

7. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I really, really tried, 130 some posts ago.

8. AC0GT

I was in the Army and some of those Navy guys get on my nerves.

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I can think of no post on this discussion forum provoking anything constructive. It was intended only to demonstrate the ease with which someone can obtain a license and it left to the reader to decide if that is good or bad. Obviously some think it's good while others do not.

Whether or not mariners having a ham license and a radio isn't relevant to the issue of how easy or difficult the testing is. Clearly, if boaters thought it crucial, everyone would do it.

10. K1FBI

So why do you continue to post in a thread you believe to be not "provoking anything constructive"?