ad: elecraft

Comm Site Fees to Significantly Increase for Ham Radio Repeaters

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB6JWB, Jan 8, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I couldn't DISAGREE More!!!

I don't always agree with the ARRL, but they have made a difference when it comes to protecting or minimizing spectrum loss. Yes, they have made mistakes, but I'll still give them a Passing Grade for their commitment to amateur radio.

N6EY, N4FZ and W5OV like this.
  2. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cellular carriers do provide emergency communications, but that's not their primary reason for having a network, they are motivated by PROFIT. A for Profit business is a COMMERCIAL entity. A commercial entity passes the cost of doing business on to its customers. So, comparing Cellular and Amateur operations is a stretch, there really is no comparison. Unless you know Hams that have lots of listeners that pay a fee for content :)

K7SKE, WB6JWB and N4FZ like this.
  3. W0HLK

W0HLK Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W8DNZ

W8DNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Cell Phone companies get paid for their services -- amateur radio operators don't. Properly implemented services defined as voluntary or non-commercial would be exempt from the fees.

Real simple. . .

WB6JWB and N4FZ like this.
  5. N1NDN

N1NDN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't the primary purposes of the ARRL supposed to be to "speak up" on behalf of it's membership by lobbying against such things for them? Because, it seems to me that do a whole lot of "encouraging", but very little else.

Personally, I can't think of a single thing the ARRL has done to help anyone/anything, other than their own bank account, in the last 5 years.

WI4MM likes this.
  7. WI4MM

WI4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

I may have missed this question in the comments, .. anyone know of any Congress or Senate members that are operators, or what possible subcommittee covers this issue ?

8. K7IWW

K7IWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Comment deleted -- was intended as a reply to another comment

9. K7IWW

That hyperbole is nothing but unhelpful, curmudgeonly paranoia and harping of the type that constitutes the major impediment to the Amateur Service accomplishing its regulatory purposes. But I'm sure there are several 75M RWNJ roundtables that will welcome those remarks.

I pick up clues that USFS's Joey Perry probably has no idea what amateur radio is. This is what comment periods are for. In addition to submitting agency comments, we should be contacting our U.S. Senators and Representatives asking them to weigh in with USFS on our behalf.

As for ARRL, it is not some ethereal entity out there, it is its membership, and its elected and appointed volunteers. We need to press our Secftion Managers and Directors to stir up the pot. Section Managers should be urgently requested to launch email campaigns to their Section ARRL members and affiliated clubs, and nets, with several requests for comments to be submitted. Directors should be requested to urgently press the ARRL Executive Committee to direct appropriate ARRL personnel to contact USFS and also to get support from FEMA and other agencies.

Don't curse the darkness, light a candle!

Kevin Hunt K7IWW

KX4O, WA7WJR and W9EBE like this.
  10. K7IWW

Tell us what YOU have done. The ARRL is YOU. Maybe you could be phoning your Division Director, did you ever think of that? If you can't think of "a single thing" that "ARRL has done to help anyome/anything, other than their own bank account, in the last 5 years," then I seriously question whether you have any involvement whatsoever with an affiliated club, as an ARRL volunteer, or as a member who bothers to read QST, listen to W1AW bulletins, take the ARRL Letter, or otherwise do anything beyond pressing the PTT button on an HT.

So again, I ask: What are YOU doing to utilize the ARRL's resources to address this matter?

WB6JWB and WA7WJR like this.
  11. K7IWW

The answer to that is SIMPLE and OBVIOUS: The Amateur Service is a VOLUNTARY pool of trained individuals who CANNOT BE COMPENSATED and who EXPEND THEIR OWN FUNDS maintaining repeaters, buying group amd personal gear, etc., etc. It is expressly established as such in pertinent treaties, statutes and regulations. Commercial telecommunications entities are FOR PROFIT enterprises. It is unfair to charge volunteers for the privilege of providing a public service for free, at their own expense.

WB6JWB likes this.
  12. K7IWW

Suggestion:

When the agency official recites their personal pronouns as "she/her," a comment should probably not be addressed "Dear Sir."

There are actually women is government positions. One is even Vice President.

WB6JWB likes this.
  13. W5OV

W5OV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's obvious that you're just not aware of what the ARRL does. Everything we do is for the betterment of amateur radio. Your assessment is absurd and completely false. We do have lobbyists working on our behalf, and they do cost a lot of money. Even people like you benefit who are not members and don't support the league. As a radio amateur, you get all the benefits of ARRL membership in representation of your radio interests to the FCC, Congress, etc. I find it strange that you spend your time criticizing an organization you're not even a member of. Maybe if you were, you'd be better informed?

W9EBE and K7IWW like this.
  14. W5OV

W5OV Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not in front of congress yet. They have asked for comment on the proposal. Nothing more.

WI4MM and K7IWW like this.
  15. K7IWW

The answer to that is SIMPLE and OBVIOUS: The Amateur Service is a VOLUNTARY pool of trained individuals who CANNOT BE COMPENSATED and who EXPEND THEIR OWN FUNDS maintaining repeaters, buying group amd personal gear, etc., etc. It is expressly established as such in pertinent treaties, statutes and regulations. Commercial telecommunications entities are FOR PROFIT enterprises. It is unfair to charge volunteers for the privilege of providing a public service for free, at their own expense.

WB6JWB likes this.