Collins S-Line and a couple of stiffs

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Feb 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wobbling the ol' nostalgia glands while perusing the 1966 edition of "The Mobile Manual for Radio Amateurs" (ARRL).

Oh for the days when the trunk of a car could accommodate a Collins S-Line plus a couple of random stiffs. Quite impressed with how many hams had full gallon stations mobile.....often with 6 volt electrical systems!

Eric

2. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember reading about the ham who fitted a genemotor in his boot (oops! trunk).
    In doing so, he drilled some holes in the floor.

Unbeknownst to him, he had drilled into the fuel tank, so when he fired up the rig, & the (surplus) genemotor started, its brushes sparked, & blew the cars backside off!

Probably an urban myth, but I read it in a ham magazine---can't remember,which one.

Off topic, but I read a similar story in a Brit car mag years ago.
    In that case, it was a "Hillman Super Imp", where the factory ran out of the fancy badge that model used .
    The ones that needed the badge were shunted off at the end of the line, where a worker drilled the two holes in the body & clipped the badge in .
    Again, two holes in the fuel tank in at least one car.

It seems that Hillman were pretty miserly, & only put a small amount of fuel in the tank, so it didn't leak, nobody noticed anything wrong, & it went off to the dealer to be handed over to the customer
    who had been "champing at the bit" for his car.

Muttering to himself about the parsimony of dealers in not filling the tank, he headed off to the service station, where he experienced the supreme delight of petrol peeing all over his feet as he used the self serve pump.

Also probably an urban myth!

WW2PT and N4NYK like this.
  3. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

"Mobileering" have some risks...
    upload_2020-2-23_11-46-13.png

In my early club there were two "mobileers", and one of them rode a mid-60s Opel with a
    Swan 500 in it. He always parked his car when operating in a downhill slope to avoid problems like the above.

Another problem could be maintaining relations to passengers if mobiling in a small car:

upload_2020-2-23_11-51-7.png

A related incident happened to a friend at Uni, who had a 6-volt system Volkswagen, with a 144 MHz mobile radio in it. The radio was temporarily fitted, with its power leads directly attached to the battery terminals under the back seat, which are supposed to be covered by a lid.

The lid was however inadvertently left off, so when a passenger of some substantial weight sat down in the back seat, the steel springs in the cushion touched the terminals and shorted the battery.

Eye-witnesses saw the passenger get into the car, which drove away, but after a few seconds there was smoke seen filling it together with great commotion inside, the driver and front-seat passenger came out in a hurry followed by the back-seat passenger in an even greater hurry.

They did however manage to get the smoking seat out before the car caught fire.

This happened in the mid-70s, well before the age of mobile cameras.
    Otherwise it would have made a great Youtube video...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

WW2PT likes this.
  4. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The VW Beetle battery shorting is real. I had one as did my sister, hers burned down because of this issue. The seat springs would contact the battery terminals with a passenger in the back seat if the factory paper board battery cover was missing or not placed properly.

5. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

In my 1965 "Beetle" the cover was pressed steel with an insulating material on the inside.

Having had a VW mechanic live next-door when I grew up, I got some first-hand advice of what not to do, and leaving the battery cover off was on of them.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. All the '66 models I owned were the same way. I seem to recall a metal strap and lever as well.

And the biggest mistake (at least in the U.S.) was replacing the 6mm German fuel line (which required no hose clamps) with U.S. fuel line, which would come off if you didn't use clamps.