Collins 30L-1 band switch sync question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KJ4OLL, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4OLL

KJ4OLL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    I fixed the power switch in my 30L-1!
    It had become "welded" in the "ON" position.

But I subsequently caused one problem that I can not find the solution for in the manuals or schematics.

I had to take out the band switch & associated linkage to get to the power switch.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x257/fish1_07/bandswitch_shaft.jpg

I managed to get the front band wafer switch out of sync with the matching wafer switch in the back of the chassis.
    The front and rear switches connect via a fiberglass shaft and coupler.

There must be a procedure for re-synchronizing these, but I just can't locate it, can anyone please provide some guidance?

Frank
    KJ4OLL

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank -

FIRST, disconnect 30L-1 from AC power (unplug it from wall), before opening the 30L-1 case to perform this procedure. SAFETY FIRST.

Now, to directly answer your question on the procedure.

1.) You will need to loosen the Coupler on the Fiberglass shaft/rod.
    2.) This will permit you to rotate the front wafer with front panel knob -- separately from the back (rear) switch wafer.
    3.) Turn front knob for proper alignment of the FRONT wafer to the disconnected REAR wafer.
    4.) Reconnect the Coupler and fiberglass shaft/rod.
    5.) Switch wafers should now be aligned.

w9gb

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look closely at the "detent" assembly you will see that there are 2 Bristol setscrews which hold the fiber rod. When the assembly was assembled at the Collins factory these setscrews were tightened so that they made indentations in the round portion of the fiber rod. You need to carefully insert the rod into the "detent" assembly so that they perfectly align with the set screws. If you are more than a couple of degrees of rotation away from the original position then you can definitely have problems with the band switch.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.