Collins 20V-2 wiring help needed

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Jun 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Brilliant post that speaks volumes.
    You bring up a point that has two edges.
    The collector who is passionate or completely anal retentive about condition and originality.
    And the practical side, of making it work better so it can be used at all. I mean what’s the use for a mint condition kilobuck rig that doesn’t work well or at all?
    I have dealt with some of the most insane collectors who can afford anything they want who insist on making sure that after I finished a repair or restoration that “ please be sure to save the old caps”.
    I always chided them on how silly it is to do that for reasons many didn’t want to comprehend or simply didn’t want to be told how stupid it is to obsess about a useless object that will not preserve its original value. As if keeping the old parts would make them feel better or somehow justify the obscene amount of money they spent on something they want to look at and admit they finally made it to the big time.
    I have some stories of very famous people who I won’t divulge here, that fit this discussion perfectly.
    At the end of the day, practicality wins every time and those who understand the limits of design flaws will take the time to correct them in order to enjoy the hobby while those obsessed collectors will continue to fret over silly details that will never improve the quality of life. Meanwhile, their wives or girlfriends are looking at the menu with desire.
    You get the picture.

K5UJ and (deleted member) like this.
  2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I did save the old caps and burnt parts on one Valiant restoration.

I handed them back in a 2 1/2 gallon plastic bag! :D

Pheel

N6YW and K5UJ like this.
  3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I work on a lot of Collins equipment for others. Although I have heard of such people, I have yet to run into someone who wants the equipment to be in such "original" condition. The reason I see the equipment is because the client wants to use it and not look at it!

Just what is original anyway. Collins issued so many Service Bulletins for field modifications so that the equipment would be brought up to the configuration of the latest production units. Some of these bulletins even required drilling holes in the chassis to mount things like additional i.f. transformers. Other bulletins required substantial modifications to the circuitry including changing and / or adding a fair number of components. Equipment so modified is often a long ways from being "original"!

Art Collins' main problem was that his constant tinkering was very detrimental to the company. Because of his insistence that all modifications had to be made and then coming up with even more modifications before the previous modifications could be made, resulted in nothing going out the door and no money coming in.

In addition, he promoted some of his best technical people to executive positions where they struggled. Those people were very happy in technical positions but were lousy managers. This hurt the company as well.

His final downfall was that he thought he could build a better computer than IBM. Art had 2-new buildings built on the Richardson, Texas, campus, Building 406 and Building 408. Those buildings were located between Building 401, the "engineering building" and Building 402 which was the building in which my office was located. The chilled water air conditioning systems of these new buildings were tied into the system of Building 402.

The summer of 1968 was even hotter than normal for north Texas and the air conditioning systems in Building 406 and 408 could not keep up. So, Art ordered all the chilled water be diverted from Building 402 to Buildings 406 and 408. With outside air temperatures well over 100-degrees, the temperature on the main floor of Building went to over 110-degrees, even as high as 115-degrees. But, on the mezzanine of Building 402, where my office was located, the temperature went to over 120-degrees, even as high as 125-degrees. The employees were suffering!

I could always find an excuse to go over to one of the other buildings especially Building 401 where the air conditioning system was not tied into that of the computer buildings. Unfortunately, most of the other employees were "stuck" in Building 402.

After almost a week of this, Art was finally persuaded to allow the chilled water to again be used to cool Building 402. By that time, there had been a number of employees who had fainted from the heat and had other medical problems.

Art Collins put all of the company's reserve cash into building the computer and borrowed even more money for this purpose. Unfortunately, the computer business was something of which Art was a complete novice and all that he accomplished was spending more, and more, money on a losing proposition. He owned over 50% of the stock and, as such, had complete control over the corporation. Even though the communications side of the business was very profitable, the losses of the computer endeavor greatly exceeded the profits from selling radios, etc. Finally, Art had no choice but to sell his controlling interest to Rockwell International. This was a couple of years after I had left the company.

One thing happened after I left Collins Radio Company and had my own company. In June 1972 I was in the hospital having my appendix removed. Somehow, I allowed myself into being convinced to purchase a Cessna 150 aircraft. Well, technically, the company bought the aircraft but I controlled the purse strings of the company. The seller was the sales director of the Collins civilian avionics group. The aircraft was certified for IFR training and had, basically, 2 of "everything" required for such training installed.

The new Rockwell International president of Collins Radio was learning to fly in that airplane. The aircraft was being rented to several instructors. Because of this, the president allowed the aircraft to be housed in the Collins Radio Company hanger at the Addison (Texas) airport at no charge. This was the same hanger where the 4-aircraft used as Air Force One were housed every 2, or 3, months when the communications equipment was being updated, checked out, etc.

My little, green, Cessna 150 would be parked by the door of the hanger and an Air Force One Boeing 707 would take up the remainder of the hanger. There would be an airman, armed with an M-16, standing like every 10-feet around the Air Force One guarding the aircraft. I didn't have to worry about anyone tampering with my airplane!

Glen, K9STH

4. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool story!
    Many people who think things up are not great business men I guess.
    Many great business men were giant A holes like Howard Hughs...

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Art Collins was always modifying, "improving", etc., all sorts of things.

For his second wife, Art had a brand new house built in north Dallas. Instead of having the normal wood construction, Art designed the house to use steel "uni-strut" instead of the normal 2 X 4 wood, etc., studs, beams, etc. The house was definitely very strong in its construction.

Unfortunately, Art had forgotten that steel expands and contracts with changes in temperature and such changes definitely happen over the normal 24-hours in a day. As the sun comes up, the temperature increases and the steel uni-strut starts to expand. As this expansion takes place, all of the joints in the structure start make various "sounds" and this continues until the outside temperature finally stabilizes. Then, as the sun goes down, the temperature starts to decrease and the uni-strut starts to contract which, of course, causes all the joints to again emit various "sounds". Unfortunately, such major temperature changes happen, here in the Dallas, Texas, area, at least 9-months out of every year.

Living with these "sounds" results in the situation where one does not really "hear" them any more. But, to an outsider, those "sounds" are quite evident. It has been over 50-years since the house was built and even today the "creaking" is still present.

Glen, K9STH

N6YW likes this.
  6. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like our kind of guy.

AC0OB and N6YW like this.
  7. N6YW

3529B04C-6D02-40AF-99E5-9B8D3B6ACBE7.jpeg D3DBC35A-F374-4022-9F0B-B363B8808A5F.jpeg The 20V-2 has the candles lit, producing power and a stout +100% modulation makes for a wonderful evening here at N6YW.
    3870 AMI net tonight.

8. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Uni-strut: The adult erector set.

73DG

9. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Kindorf verses Unistrut. Celebrity deathmatch.

10. N6YW

E55A2C37-6767-4AFE-A224-1EEB49C37315.jpeg I use uni-strut all of the time and yes, it is the mounting system of choice for my antenna masts.
    You need to have a beer when commissioning a transmitter!

K6RBK, W8KHK, W2VW and 1 other person like this.