ad: NVCON-1

Coil Shortened Inverted V for 80m (Field Day Project !)

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WQ2H, Jun 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I couldn't resist posting this photo of my 2018 Field Day project. Many thanks to 66pacific.com for providing the calculator on their website. If you're not familiar with it - check it out. As long as you're careful with your measurements - I think anyone can build one. Certainly not perfect - but it works.

As it sits, the MFJ fiberglass mast is 18' high, dipole length is 60', and there are 4 simple guys for the mast - 2 of which support the center loading coils which I wrapped on 2" PVC pipe. I built the simple choke for the feed point, and the SWR was < 1.2 on the first deployment in the back yard. It takes about 5 minutes to put it up.

I made several digital QSOs last week (PSK, THOR, Olivia - @ 50W) during a local NBEMS net - so this weekend I will try phone. During Field day it will be deployed at about 1800' ASL, so I can't wait to see how it actually performs.

If you're participating this year remember, 23 JUN 2018, 2000z-2300z, 3582 kHz, Olivia-8-500, I'll be at FN32xv operating 1BNH. Good luck !

Jim, WQ2H

WQ2H_CL_InvV_FD2018.jpg

AI3V likes this.
  2. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

I used their site to design a 40m dipole that was only 15m wide and used it as my home antenna for a good 3 years. I worked 108 DXCC entities on 40 and 15m on it QRP over that time.

WQ2H likes this.