ad: portazero-1

Coil Shortened Inverted V for 80m (Field Day Project !)

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WQ2H, Jun 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I couldn't resist posting this photo of my 2018 Field Day project. Many thanks to 66pacific.com for providing the calculator on their website. If you're not familiar with it - check it out. As long as you're careful with your measurements - I think anyone can build one. Certainly not perfect - but it works.

As it sits, the MFJ fiberglass mast is 18' high, dipole length is 60', and there are 4 simple guys for the mast - 2 of which support the center loading coils which I wrapped on 2" PVC pipe. I built the simple choke for the feed point, and the SWR was < 1.2 on the first deployment in the back yard. It takes about 5 minutes to put it up.

I made several digital QSOs last week (PSK, THOR, Olivia - @ 50W) during a local NBEMS net - so this weekend I will try phone. During Field day it will be deployed at about 1800' ASL, so I can't wait to see how it actually performs.

If you're participating this year remember, 23 JUN 2018, 2000z-2300z, 3582 kHz, Olivia-8-500, I'll be at FN32xv operating 1BNH. Good luck !

Jim, WQ2H

WQ2H_CL_InvV_FD2018.jpg

AI3V likes this.
  2. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

I used their site to design a 40m dipole that was only 15m wide and used it as my home antenna for a good 3 years. I worked 108 DXCC entities on 40 and 15m on it QRP over that time.

WQ2H likes this.
  3. WQ2H

Well, The antenna worked fairly well. Deployed in ten minutes, on the air in another five. The Rx was phenomenal.

I made 15 east-coast Olivia contacts in about 2 hours. Also made 3 phone QSOs withing NH. I was positioned on a hill which I'm sure contributed to the day. Not bad for 80m in the afternoon.

I would have stayed longer, but the rain was on and off all day and the mosquitoes were brutal. Also had half a dozen visitors, including a newly licensed tech, which made it even more enjoyable.

Jim, WQ2H

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

That site has been bookmarked here for ages and sure beats digging out the sliderule:eek:

5. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, loaded dipoles can work reasonably well . . . several locals round here use them on 160m.

Not sure why you think that would be good location . . . on HF you're usually much better off at Sea Level and near water !

Roger G3YRO

6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Uhmm, what if "Sea level" is hundreds of miles away? To many, "ASL" is termed "Above Sea Level". It is a standard point in height.
    I doubt the OP was on a 1800' cliff over the ocean.

Ed

WQ2H likes this.
  7. WQ2H

No worries. Clearly, no one expected you to understand.

When you're surrounded by mountains, like a lot of areas in New Hampshire - I've found that a little elevation usually helps.

8. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

No, but the point I was making is that I often hear stations on the HF Bands talking about the fact that they're high up on a big hill, as if that is somehow an advantage . . . (which it sounded like you were saying)

Sure, it's a BIG advantage on VHF/UHF . . . but usually a disadvantage on HF !

The best HF locations in my experience are on flat ground near the sea or a river.

Roger G3YRO

9. WQ2H

Like I said, no worries.

The real point is that most folks doesn't have access to the "best HF locations".

If you've traveled through central NH, between the granite cliffs and the magnetic ore - it can be a daunting task to find a decent HF operation position. NVIS maybe, but anything further out is tough going. In that light, a little experimentation goes a long way.

10. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it well. If you can get to Littleton, I can get you up to the water tower on Mt. Eustis, for another year. I got peeps.
    I bet Mt. Washington gets jamed for field day.
    Also, II have relatives that work at some of the ski slopes. Maybe one of them would be good for FD opps.

Ed