Code plugs

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE3LB, Nov 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE3LB

KE3LB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Picked up a TYT MD U/V 380 Now need to make a code plug WOW ! Didn't know it was so difficult to program Am I the only one , Any help is appreciated thanks 'My local repeator for DMR is N3MBK near Scranton PA 441.3500 / K1NRA 440.05625 / W3IRS 441.750 thanks 73

2. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

I felt the exact same when I began programming DMR. It's okay though, you'll get it. One day I was standing in the shower and it all just "clicked". I can make a basic codeplug now in about 10 minutes.

Here's my advice. Understand the difference in "Zones", "Talkgroups", "Channels" and "Digital Contacts". Understand what "Timeslots" do, and why there are two of them.

A "Zone" is kind of like a "bank" where channels are stored. I like to set up my zones by repeater. So for example, I have a zone for EACH repeater that I want to use. I also have a zone simply for analog repeaters only. When you're programming in one repeater, you'll have to understand that EACH talkgroup is going to have to be programmed as it's OWN special channel. So depending on how many TG's you want to program, you could have only one channel (one talkgroup), or you could have 100 channels (100 talkgroups).

Within EACH channel you have to program it basically the same as the last with only the talkgroup changing. Because instead of changing frequencies, you change the talkgroup.

N5AVF and AI7PM like this.
  3. KE3LB

OK thanks finally a response been watching all the you tube videos I can and yes ok zones are like a memory bank ok now that's a start thank you very much as far as talk groups I would be happy with a world wide one just to get my feet wet at writing the code plug got my DMR id number and joined Brandmister I guess it will eventually click. thanks again

4. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Brandmeister Talkgroup for Worldwide is 91. There's quite a bit of activity there. There are also "state" specific talkgroups.

To understand "Timeslots", you have to understand that DMR is unlike any other mode because a DMR signal isn't a solid carrier like FM is, or even DStar or DMR. A DMR signal switches on/off/of/off/on/off.

So, ergo, you can have two simultanious conversations at the same time on the same frequency.

Timeslot 1 - ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF
    Timeslot 2 - OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON

This is why DMR's mode is regarded as TDMA, or Time Division Multiple Access. DMR works by dividing up transmissions in time (milliseconds), allowing multiple users to access the same frequency at any given time. The more you learn about DMR and how it works, the easier building a code plug will be.

Get it?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  5. KE3LB

Thanks yes I think so have to read it a few more times and keep working at it and thank you your help is very much appreciated