ad: w5yi

Code of Conduct #5

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AJ4GQ, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

This "issue" was first reported in September by AD5HR and it seems management may not have resolved it.

Here's an ad that appeared in the top right corner of the QRZ home page a little while ago and I've seen it periodically over the last few weeks.

9mm vs .40
    vs .45 Debate
    Ended

concealedcarryconfidence.org
    Video Makes 40% Change
    Caliber
    "Ugly Caliber Myths" Video:
    Watch This & See if Your
    CCW/CPL Handgun Choice
    Survives.

As an aside, I'm in favor of the .45 because I like big bullets, although I carry a 9mm. My BUG is a .45. Ironic, eh?

Anyway, here's Rule #5 from the QRZ Forums Code of Conduct.
    5. Weapons Policy
    QRZ is not a place to discuss weapons, gun policies, shootings, or firearms sports. Such discussions will be regarded as off-topic and removed accordingly.

Is QRZ saying, "Do as I say, not as I do" or am I missing something?

2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. QRZed does not control the automated adverts.
    2. No discussion occurred. It was an advert.

b. :)

3. AJ4GQ

Why would QRZ allow an automated advertisement without getting the ad revenue dollars? Their advertising policy is very explicit - payment up front. Are you suggesting this ad was run without their approval and without them receiving the advertising fees? I don't think so, but, perhaps, I don't get your point. Please send me an email or "Conversation" to explain. Thanks. Or post here, whichever is better for you.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

By your own post in"Swapmeet Talk", you are doing exactly what you say that QRZ should not be doing,

5. Weapons Policy
    QRZ is not a place to discuss weapons, gun policies, shootings, or firearms sports. Such discussions will be regarded as off-topic and removed accordingly.

... and Yes, General Hatcher was correct.

5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of what you will see in the ads are generated by what you visit or inquire about at other websites. I have poked around the internet about something I am interested in and then see related ads here on the Zed that reflects those interests for some time after I have bought or became disinterested in that item.

That is just the way is is these days. Every time you click on an ad here QRZ gets a penny or two for it.

N1VAU, KD8DEY and AJ4GQ like this.
  6. AJ4GQ

So far you're the only one that caught that. And nope, I didn't say that "QRZ should not be doing that". I thought it was disingenuous on their part, unless it occurred as K7MH suggested, and even then it seems to violate QRZ's #5 Policy.
    Agreed re: General Hatcher. Good call.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

If you close the ad at the top of this page you will get to this by Google if you follow the link.

This ad may be based on:
    • General factors about the placement of the ad, agreed upon by the publisher (ex: website, app) and the advertiser
    • Information collected by the publisher. The publisher partners with Google to show ads
    You can make ads more useful to you. Control your ad settings
    Report a bad website or app. Go to the publisher feedback form

Report bad ads. Go to the ad feedback form

We do not sell your personal information to anyone. Read privacy policy
    Google is one of many ad networks that personalizes ads based on your activity online. Go to
    AdChoices to control ads from other ad networks.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

What's weird is I recently had brake work done in a local shop then saw an ad here from national chain offering $$off brake job. I had just dropped the car off, didn't visit any website. Maybe my mechanic has a side gig.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The ads are automatically run, and depend on the person viewing them. The automatic ads are tailored to the search habits and sites visited by your browser. I have never seen an ad for guns, but I don't search for them, so that is expected. QRZ probably does get whatever flat rate advertising fee is paid for those ads, probably based on click through percentages or something.

But in any case, that really has nothing to do with the QRZ policy governing our ability to post something in the forums, since it is not something posted in the forums, it is an ad that only appears on some people's browsers. If you are offended by the ad, you can probably report it to Google or whoever places the ads there.

KB4QAA likes this.
  10. AJ4GQ

I think you're right. I mistakenly assumed QRZ voluntarily accepted a "gun" ad when they promulgated a rule against postings about such information. My bad. Thanks for the clear and concise explanation.

KB4QAA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.