Codan 8525b

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by BLACKBERRYGOOSE, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. BLACKBERRYGOOSE

BLACKBERRYGOOSE QRZ Member

This is my first post on this forum, I have a couple of codan outback s, channelised for vks737, rfds, aprs and so on. That for me contains no interest as I wanted the s for use with frequencies. These s make great rigs I have been told, yet mine are far from the mark.

My codan outback (8525b) works and picks up frequencies, I have been told it was used in a mining truck. I have connected it to an antenna for 80, 40, 20 metres. In my interest to get the to be useful (they are dsb/usb/lsb) I purchased an EPROM from eBay for an 8525a. It wasn't cheap and didn't work like magic as I had hoped. I communicated with the seller but he was reluctant (dare I say- recalcitrant) to help. Yet this spurns me on. Any pointers for help at this point would be grand.

The with the current EPROM, does not LSB, has channels 5-20 receive only (ABC?) And will not scan, but I am not sure I know what I am doing there. It auto tunes the antenna, but I don't hear anything, because nothing around me transmits on USB.

One of my aims is to have some useable channels out of the 100 available on the band spread that the is capable of.

The remote control head is an 8530, I am looking to replace it eventually with an 8532, but why waste the existing unit? Surely it can be useful...

I am looking for the LSB crystal and have not had any instant success, being a stubborn person I will find one soon enough.

I would like to use the as it was intended and not just install a PIC/ microcontroller interface, PLL, vxo etc. I mean if anyone has an 85XXx box without head unit they want to get rid of, cheap- I will take.

I have found a few resources online, yet for comprehensive teardown, debugging, reprogramming or modification and hacking I am left wanting.

Surely those who worked for codan on these projects and others have left behind some clues?

I am yet to have any faith for those who repair or service these models to come forth and give anything for free, or contribute to an open source solution. But there is always that most dangerous of notions- hope.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2019
  2. BLACKBERRYGOOSE

BLACKBERRYGOOSE QRZ Member

Most of the funs happens here

Attached Files: