CocoaModem - PSK, MFSK & RTTY for Mac OSX

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by NN4RH, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If anyone out there has been looking for a PSK31 program for Mac OSX, and, like me, thinks Multimode is too clunky to use and too expensive at $89, there's a very good alternative.

It's called CocoaModem and is available at http://homepage.mac.com/chen/Contents/applications.html

It's very basic. It does not have a built-in log, for example. And it only does a few modes RTTY, PSK-31 & -63, MFSK-16 and FeldHell. If you must have something equivalent to MixW for Mac OSX, this isn't it. But if you just want a basic, very user friendly, easy to set up, FREEWARE soundcard application that will run efficiently and error free under OSX, check this out.

There's a companion app called CocoaPTT that you can use to set up the PTT function using a USB port. I have a RigBlaster Plug&Play, and they now have a Mac OSX driver for it so I am able to use it with OSX in conjunction with CocoaPTT.

Apparently these apps by W7AY have been available for about two years now, but I don't know why I never heard of them before. I came across it last week by accident and am very glad I did. I had nearly stopped working soundcard modes because all I have at home are Macs, and although I tried to run MixW2 under a Windows XP virtual machine under Mac Parallels, it always ran very sluggish, could not adjust the input and output sound levels from within XP, and if running any other applications at the same time, had weird timing problems that sent out gibberish. I had basically given up on soundcard modes with my iMac. With CocoaModem & CocoaPTT I'm back in business again!

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. W2NSF

W2NSF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Logging with CocoaModem

I also use CocoaModem and I log my digital QSOs with MacLoggerDX.
    By using an Applesript, you can get CM to log your digital QSOs in MLDX.

Check out http://dogparksoftware.com/mldxscripts.html

Good luck!
    Jim, W2NSF

3. W9DKC

W9DKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Very powerful software and a good price too!

Gotta build macros from scratch but I have done rtty, psk31 and cw all in the first night after I got my signalink USB. Read the user's guide and find out what it will do. Even has an applescript for rumlog!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  4. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not a Mac user but I use Fldigi on Linux and Windows and I see there is also a Mac OS X version. It's as close to the capabilities of MixW as you'll get, and it's free, too.

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. Someone pulled up a year and a half old post I made about CocoaModem. When I posted that I either did not know Fldigi existed, or it didn't exist yet.

Since then, I've started using Fldigi on my iMac and it works very well. The user interface is much better than CocoaModem and it has more capability.

6. KO1C

KO1C Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You know, it seems that because we on average spent more for a Macs than an Windows PC that software developers act like they think we're made of money so they gouge us for their products.

At least that's the way it seems to me...

David, N1ZHE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.