Coaxial Connector Choices

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W3MAT, Jun 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W3MAT

W3MAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a few questions about about a set-up I'm planning:

Kenwood TS 830 transceiver,
    to a LDG auto tuner,
    lightning arrestor,
    homebrew 9:1 unun balun,
    inverted L antenna.

Eight-four feet inverted L. Twenty feet from feed point to radio.

I have a supply of LMR-400 and RG-58.

What should I use for jumpers (and where do you like to source those), or would you make your own using what. I need three right. (The remote auto tuner as you know incorporates a controller / bias T at radio.)

I do have an Astatic PDC1 SWR meter. Should I put that in there. If so make that five jumpers.

What do you think.

2. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since you have the coax.. I would use the RG58 to make jumpers for everything in the shack and use the LMR400 outside from the arrestor to the antenna. LMR 400 would be a bit unwieldy for your indoor connections.

Crimp/solder connectors work well.

My supply of crimp/solder connectors and tools came from Quicksilver Radio. https://www.qsradio.com/index.html

Crimping tools: (wow - prices went UP!) https://www.qsradio.com/shop-now.html#!/Ultimate-Crimp-Kitâ„¢/p/50841103/category=13719028

Connectors: https://www.qsradio.com/shop-now.html#!/PL-259-UHF-Male/c/11543085

Good luck.

KS2G likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It will depend. RG-58 may be OK for in-shack jumpers, UNLESS they are handling significant power, in which case, you would be better off using something else, although LMR-400 (0riginal, with solid inner conductor) is quite stiff for jumpers, although the "flex" or "ultra-flex" varieties of LMR-400 (with stranded inner conductor) are a bit easier to handle. If you are using 100 Watts or less, the RG-58 should be fine for jumpers inside the shack, at least at HF, and short lengths for VHF. But I wouldn't use RG-58 for ANY long lengths, or as an outside feedline, especially since you already HAVE the LMR-400. I (personally) make ALL my cables; you can't always "trust" the "ready made" cables, etc. particularly when they are "hidden" with heat-shrink or are molded in place.

4. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use MPD Digital LMR400 Ultra Flex in the house as well as outside. It bends very easily. It's available on Amazon

"Able to Bend 90 Degrees in One Inch with no loss of signal"

5. W3WD

W3WD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to make my own jumpers (and will eventually), but I wanted to get on the air before 2030, so I just bought a few from DX Engineering (cable and connectors --> coaxial cable assemblies). I like the company and the products so far, no complaints. The jumpers appear to be well-made.

I also have some Messi & Paoloni stuff, and it seems to be good quality as well.

Good luck!

6. W3MAT

Thank you! Great information.

Talking 100 watts here. Mid-80's Kenwood tube / solid state hybrid.

Yes LMR-400 solid inner conductor is what I have.

OK thinking worth it to make two LMR-400 jumpers at the antenna. One from homebrew 9:1 unun balun to arrestor. One from arrestor to remote tuner.

I will probably make the jumpers for inside the shack. A great guy in Atwood, Ohio gave me the RG58 and several solder type connector setups.

However, I do need to order some coax tape. Let's say I didn't have the supply of RG58. If you were to buy store-bought jumpers for inside the shack, what would you get?

7. W3MAT

Sorry I didn't see the two other replies before pressing the blast off button. This is great! I'll check out the Ultra Flex. And I'll look again at DX Engineering. My itchy trigger finger made me leave that section of the site before I could dog those down. The owner originally is from around here.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At HF the type of coax you use for jumpers doesn't matter much.

What do you do? Get some lengths of decent coax (frankly, I find RG8X convenient for this purpose because of its flexibility). Crimp or solder some PL-259s on the ends and you are good to go (good quality PL:-259s will work just fine).

If you wanted to go out and buy some jumpers, well, that's fine. High quality producers like DXengineering can put on connectors, shrink wrap boots, etc. better than I can. But, again, it won't make much difference if you use good quality coax, good quality connectors, and said connectors are properly installed on the ends. :)

If you need an external SWR meter, sure, you can use that.

9. W3MAT

Perfect. Thanks man to you, too.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

What type of antenna do you have/are you contemplating? The jumpers used outside (as you seem to describe) WILL make a difference. Solid conductor (regular LMR-400) coax is NOT a good choice for a rotatable antenna.

W6KCS likes this.