COAX Wattage

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD9DOG, Jun 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KD9DOG

KD9DOG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have numerous rolls of of RG8, RG8x and RG6 , I went to Pasternex ? and studied the notes on the COAX and none were over 100W and the RG8 was 180W , I am guessing that this refers to the 1GHZ Freq. how does the 1 GHZ copare to HF Freq?. I am rewiring my shack and am using RG8x from the radio to SWR/WATT M to WAVENODE 2n to Wavenode sensor 1 to the SB220 Amp input and LM400 to sensor 2 then to the Antenna. The large 400 was to difficult to get bent in a myriad of shapes to wiggle around. Does this seem to be doable

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Any of those cables should be good for 1KW on HF, assuming low SWR.

WB5THT and K0UO like this.
  3. NK7Z

NK7Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I run 500 watts routinely using DXE RG-8x, and have run 1 KW intermittently, all 54 MHz., and lower. I use RG-8x for all internal jumpers, and LMR-400 for all runs longer than 40 or so feet. I would not worry about anything but loss using RG-8 for any run up to a KW below 28 MHz.

WB5THT and W4HWD like this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No problem using it on HF with low SWR/ you can run full power on SSB.
    I use a lot of good RG6 (1000s of feet)

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

5. KD9DOG

Thankyou

K0UO likes this.
  6. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too, except where you use LMR-400 I use DXE RG-213.

7. KD9DOG

I like the price

8. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

I melted rg8x at about 1050 watts. It is rated for 900 I found out later. The entire length turned to goo.

Tom