coax panel on a mobile home

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK4QGN, Nov 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK4QGN

KK4QGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am hopefully going to be moving to some acreage in a rural area soon and me and my mother are considering a mobile home on said property with a side for each of us. The radio club I am part of uses a panel with SO-239 connectors at the county Emergency Operations Center and I was wondering if anyone had ever gotten one installed from the mobile home factory. I know this is an odd question and mods if I have put it in the wrong forum feel free to move it.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

KI4ZUQ likes this.
  3. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

There would be nothing to prohibit you selecting an entry panel for the factory to install, or asking them about where such a panel could be installed to avoid 'accidents' involving utility lines ( water, gas, electricity ) or fasteners. If you had talked to the right person around the E.O.C., they might have mentioned that entry panels can be 'scratch built' or commercially manufactured. Companies such as Harger(mfr./TM/R) and MFJ (mfr./TM/R) and Polyphaser (mfr./TM/R) have all produced entry panels and typically also supply surge suppressors ( think Lightning or the more prevalent static discharge ). Some folks might advise type "N" connectors rather than SO-239/PL-259. I doubt that you will find one of these panels installed at a factory, yet there are folks who specialize in 'retrofits' of modular and mobile homes. This can be an issue for insurance reasons, yet I doubt that any problems other than water intrusion typically result. Caulking can be purchased in various forms- sometimes you get what you pay for.

KK4QGN likes this.
  4. KK4QGN

KK4QGN Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks for the reply the one at the E.O.C. was a commercially made panel but I just did not know if it was possible to get one put on by the manufacturer. Me and my mom are definitely looking at a custom built mobile home when we move and I know who installed the unit at the E.O.C. so I will ask around at the mobile home places when we go get quotes on our planned construction. I appreciate the help I had just never heard of anyone putting a panel on a mobile home and was curious how to go about it. Thanks again for the advice now I kind of have an idea as to the next step

5. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have direct experience with this for mobile homes but do with RV vehicles and trailers.

First, make sure there is no wiring in the walls where you want to drill. Primarily by there being no outlets in that area but even if nothing there you still want to be careful when cutting.

Try to locate the studs and place the panel between them. If you do wind up needing to cut a stud do not rely on the outside siding for support. Place a horizontal brace in the wall.

If this is a flat plate or if the flat plate can be easily removed consider mounting that on the inside and drill a hole for a long barrel F-F connector. This way you only have holes for barrel(s) on the outside. Or vice versa with the panel outside. This way it is less intrusive then cutting a big hole in the wall.

Consider some sort of rain/drip cover over the outside. CAULK EVERYTHING(!) in addition to the cover.

Fill in any insulation you remove.

If you post a picture and dimensions of what you want to install people could possible come up with some better ideas. Also what type of siding will be on the outside (aluminum, vinyl, etc.)

AK5B likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd think it would be way better to let the factory install a panel. They know where the wiring and plumbing are located in the walls and could probably do a great job. Such a panel should be grounded to the same ground point as the electrical service panel uses.

I've never owned a mobile home but have visited several, and other than being "built in a factory" and trailered to destination, they're not much different from stick-built houses and can have most of the same features, but I don't see them with garages.

7. N5TJD

N5TJD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From a mobile home perspective, I would feel more comfortable going "down" than out. Mobile home walls are.... problematic, and if you found a closet to let the coax enter/exit through the floor close to an exterior wall, you could easily route the coax in an out, have a panel outside, and not have to worry about water ingress. That's just my 2 cents. Good luck!

KC4YDY and KB0MNM like this.