coax crimp tool and fittings

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3HGB, Feb 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been waterproofing connectors with this:

[​IMG]

Then I layer over it with Scotch Super 88. So far , so good.

The advantage over butyl is that it is a lot easier to cut through and open the connector up again.

NL7W likes this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For both work and ham activities, I've used the Ideal Industries CrimpMaster and its many different die options over 25 years. Good stuff.

3. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never understood the fascination with crimped connectors. Compression fittings seem a much better way to go.

Coax plugs where you have to solder the braid too, eww! Who uses them? A PITA.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When you've been soldering them (nearly 100% successfully) for almost five decades, and when speed isn't a factor, it's hard to justify changing.
    Even for someone who's not particularly dexterous, it's not difficult to solder them using basic tools. When I installed a grounding bus for six feedlines, I installed six plugs in mid-air (the plugs, not me). I later reconfigured the rotator loop above my tower, installing soldered fittings while standing on a ladder:
    [​IMG]
    (click for bigly image)
    It was no big deal.

5. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Crimp connectors are more suitable for a production environment where non-skilled personnel can quickly assemble them with minimal training.
    I have the crimp tooling and do use them but the solder/clamp types are far better IMHO.
    As for the PL259/SO239, I choose to live without them. There are far better connectors.
    Each radio gets its adaptor to N or BNC as soon as it comes in the door.

Frank

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, soldering irons are cheap, but the ability to use one properly? PRICELESS!

WA7PRC and NL7W like this.
  7. NL7W

Properly done, crimped UHF, N, BNC and TNC connectors are superior. I buy and use the crimped braid, soldered center conductor variety. It's the best of both worlds.

Crimped connections, done correctly, can be superior to soldered connections. A good crimped connection deforms the metal sufficiently past the yield point, but not too much, so that the "spring back" keeps the connection secure, even under thermal cycling (the coefficient of expansion of the two metals might be different) and vibration. A good crimp connection is gas-tight and won’t wick: it is sometimes referred to as a “cold weld”. Like the solder method, it can be used on solid or stranded conductors and provides a good mechanical and electrical connection.

http://www.davisrf.com/articles/crimp-vs-solder.pdf

N0NB likes this.
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

In other words...
    [​IMG]
    :p

NL7W and WF7A like this.
  9. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Having installed probably more than a couple thousand solder connectors in the last 6+ decades, I fell in love with crimp connectors. In reality you do half the work for the same connection.

KB4QAA and NL7W like this.
  10. NL7W

Good stuff:
    Next Generation Crimp/Solder 8U PL-259 Connectors