coax crimp tool and fittings

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3HGB, Feb 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the crimp tool from DX Engineering and Amphenol connectors.

I also put some heatshrink over the crimp (the type with glue in them)

KK5JY likes this.
  2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought that one and it came with seven sets of dies for different types of connectors and terminals. I have to keep an instruction sheet with the crimper just to keep it all straight.

K3KIC likes this.
  3. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I probably have about the same number of dies as I use them for all sizes of coax connectors, power lugs and just about everything except Andersons.
    I also keep a cheat sheet in the tool box. But for coax three hex sizes cover almost all coaxial connectors.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

ONLY when used properly.:( Crimp connectors can be acceptable, IF properly used, with the proper dies/tools.

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I imagine a good sealant is needed, too, to maintain the integrity of crimped connections but one that prevents moisture from accumulating inside the connector through heat/cold and/or capillary action.

NL7W likes this.
  6. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NL7W likes this.
  7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

These are really inexpensive for what they are. If they are good quality, and I believe they are or you would not use and recommend them, you cannot go wrong at this price.

8. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

RF Industries connectors for RG coax. Times EZ connectors for LMR cable. You can thank me later.

KY7K, NL7W and K5WY like this.
  9. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I reworked the rotator loop above my tower, I used 3/4"ID x 4'L x 0.09"THK "Moisture-Seal Heat-Shrink Tubing" from McMaster-Carr (#7861K56). It has a 3:1 shrink ratio, making for a good "squeeze" onto 0.405" OD coax. For smaller OD cable, # 7861K55 (0.5" OD) will shrink down onto RG58-ish cable. :)

NL7W likes this.