coax and patch cord lengths

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KA0EIV, Nov 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

SVD:

I don't use 1-inch hard line for 80-meters, but I do use 1/2-inch Heliax! However, a while back I obtained a fair number of 100-foot lengths of the Heliax, plus the connectors, for absolutely nothing! Therefore, to use a lower quality cable, I would actually have to spend money! :)

Glen, K9STH

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I got a few hundred feet of 7/8" 50 Ohm Heliax several years ago, with a carton full of connectors, very cheap -- I think the whole mess was about $100 or so, so the "cost per foot" was just about nothing.

I used it for everything.

See that wattmeter hanging in the air, suspended a foot above the rig? It's connected with 7/8" Heliax patch cables!:p

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If I were lucky enough to score hardline, of course I'd use it, especially if connectors were included at little or no charge. THAT is a "no brainer." Not everyone has that luck, or is in the right place at the right time. But STH and WIK are not the average amateur.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Larry, I've scored free or nearly-free hardline, and often connectors, at the TRW Swap Meet (not recently, maybe 7-8 years ago). Beware of stuff that hasn't been stored properly, coiled up too tightly, abused, has kinks, etc. -- but sometimes guys show up with spool ends that are quite perfect, try to sell them, don't succeed, and end up giving them away (or nearly so).