ad: QSKLLC-1

coax and patch cord lengths

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KA0EIV, Nov 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

youse guys are all missing the point!!! In ENGINEERING, GOOD ENOUGH IS PERFECT!!!!!!!! Overkill is poor engineering...

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thankfully, I am NOT an engineer, so "just good enough" is NOT good enough for my station!

4. K2LCK

fine, if i ever need a bridge built,i'llcall you...you will fill the river full of concrete and bore a hole in it.

KA0HCP likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

If that's good enough, it must be for government work. we obviously have different ideas. You have yours, I have mine.

6. K2LCK

well,I am not going to use 600 and two expensive connectors to squirt rf around the shack.

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The "trick" with engineering is to come up with a solution to a situation / problem that definitely "solves" the problem with as low a cost as possible. One can over-build, put in many "frills" that really do not add much, if anything, and so forth running up the cost of the project / item.

An example would be using the tractor unit, from an "18-wheeler" to pull a 10-foot travel trailer. Yes, the tractor can fulfill the job. But, the cost of the unit, as well as the operating costs, are considerably more than much lower priced alternatives and the end result is just the same!

There are theoretical design types and theoreticists that come up with all sorts of things. Then, the engineer needs to bring those ideas "down to Earth" and produce a usable product.

Glen, K9STH

N8SAN, K2LCK, WD0BCT and 1 other person like this.
  8. K2LCK

we had an engineer at work who kept redesigning...product was beyound late... why didnt he get fired? 'twas a cpff and uncle didnt know any better...

9. WA9SVD

I guess we are discussing two different things, and for that I apologize if I misunderstood. For short, internal patch cords, the type of connector/cable is usually of little concern, as long as the connector/cable can carry the required power. (Naturally, I would not want to use RG-58/BNC's with 1000 Watts, especially at higher frequencies. For feedline, however, where replacement IS difficult, I only use the best available. I (personally) standardize on RG-8X from Belden for short low power (100 watts or so) internal jumpers with UHF connectors. For high power (1000W +) I use RG-8 type (usually LMR-400 as it is what is at hand) and whatever type connector is needed. OUTDOORS, I only use type "N" (UG-21?) plugs if at all possible. Either way, I only use quality connectors from Amphenol or equivalent, properly installed.
    [

10. WA9SVD

Glen:

I understand what you are saying, I think. IMHO, there is a difference between "the best possible," what is merely "good enough," in a particular situation, and "over engineering." An example is I wouldn't necessarily want to use 1" hard line for a 100' run at 80 Meters. It could be done, possibly just good enough, even if not installed to perfect standards, but would certainly be overkill, and "over-engineered."